Low Nutrient, Low Alkalinity reefs, Let’s See ‘em

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since I’ve lowered my alkalinity from around 8.5 to 7.5 in my low nutrient SPS dominant tank, I’ve noticed that my corals are gradually starting to look better, color wise and just overall general appearance if that means anything. I don’t know how else to describe it. I’m hoping that this trend continues on as the corals adjust to the lower alk. My nitrates are around 0-2 and phosphates around 0.03 (Salifert) and these numbers are what made me want to lower my alk. I’m posting to see who else runs low nutrient, low alkalinity reefs. What numbers are you running? Pics would be nice too but you don’t have to if you don’t want.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you said low alk in the title I thought I was going to read about 6-7 dKh (NSW) lol. For me, 7-9 dKh sounds normal while anything outside that range is high or low.

I just started back up after a 15 year hiatus, but I used to always run my tanks with high nutrients and 7.5dKh (+/- 0.5).

This time around I have a filter roller with a fuge and now I struggle to keep my nutrients up (skimmer stays off). I’d go back to no socks and huge fuge and skimmer but I’m trying to go towards the minimal maintenance path this time around.

-paul-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F86A1C93-33A9-41C2-A4E9-84C643D8A3DF.png

Alk 7.6
Phos 0.01
Nitrate 0.1
My pervious tank before it crashed after power outage

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess not very many reefers run low nutrient tanks with low alkalinities.
Most low nutrient tanks are ran at a lower alk... Low nutrient tanks with high alk are just dangerous IMO. You should have seen a very positive effect and a lot more color. I wouldnt have expected anything else.

However you could have gone the other way too, raise the nutrients in a high alk tank, has the same effect and also lessens the danger of high alk.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go back and look at all of the reefkeeping magazine TOTM tanks from back in the day you will see incredible SPS systems that usually kept NO3 and PO4 at close to undetectable levels.

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you said low alk in the title I thought I was going to read about 6-7 dKh (NSW) lol. For me, 7-9 dKh sounds normal while anything outside that range is high or low.

I just started back up after a 15 year hiatus, but I used to always run my tanks with high nutrients and 7.5dKh (+/- 0.5).

This time around I have a filter roller with a fuge and now I struggle to keep my nutrients up (skimmer stays off). I’d go back to no socks and huge fuge and skimmer but I’m trying to go towards the minimal maintenance path this time around.
For me this is kinda the low maintenance approach. I run nothing but a small piece of filter matt in my tanks. I feed heavy, run my alk at 8.5 and do a lot of water changes, and dose 2 part, and that's it. My buddy calls it the Shackleford special. I use regular old instant ocean for salt mixes. I've done it this way for many years and it's always given me good results. I ain't about to fix what isn't broken.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done it this way for many years and it's always given me good results. I ain't about to fix what isn't broken.

Yeah it’s crazy how complex and how many styles and methods there are to run reef tanks now lol. I’m just constantly reading random things everyday I never heard about.

OP
OP
FrugalReefer

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go back and look at all of the reefkeeping magazine TOTM tanks from back in the day you will see incredible SPS systems that usually kept NO3 and PO4 at close to undetectable levels.

Yeah, I know. I just want to see member tanks that aren’t in the spotlight and don’t get recognition.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most low nutrient tanks are ran at a lower alk... Low nutrient tanks with high alk are just dangerous IMO. You should have seen a very positive effect and a lot more color. I wouldnt have expected anything else.

However you could have gone the other way too, raise the nutrients in a high alk tank, has the same effect and also lessens the danger of high alk.

Attachments

• IMG20231003182044.jpg
    IMG20231003182044.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 43

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 79.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back