Low oxygen?

jsavage6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new aio tank I set up (reef casa 12g). I cycled it, tested the water, and everything came back good (no ammonia, no nitrites, ph good, etc.). I’m starting to get a little bit of an algae bloom too. I introduced my first fish, a clown fish, and it seems to be gasping for air. I made sure there is plenty of water stirring but I can’t seem to fix the issue, any help? I’m trying to keep this guy alive.

OP
OP
J

jsavage6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being that it’s the first fish in a new tank I did not quarantine. Got it from a local lfs that I’ve been happy with for other tanks. I’m looking into an air stone but it feels strange being that it has good water churn and some bubbles in the built in sump in the back.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible that it has a disease. I'd post a short video under white (not blue) lighting and put it in the disease forum. There are some short-term solutions that can help in these situations, but you don't want to choose the wrong one that could exacerbate its condition.

OP
OP
J

jsavage6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The temp was at 78, according to my digital thermometer. Thought that looked high and decided to stick a few cubes of ice in the sump and lowered the temp to 72…and he suddenly is happy as a clam…I have no idea why that mattered and now thinking why I did that either…but hey, it worked for now.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there sufficient surface agitation from the return nozzle? Best get that moving versus lateral flow which might require a wave maker although depends what’s housed with that clown. Those I’ve had didn’t care my flow was slow.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back