Low PH Cal Reactor

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank PH is low at night, 7.65 but has dropped down into the 7.5's and its definitly related to my reactor. I am going to start dosing kalkwasser as I want to experiment with something new. Mostly everything is okay except for some reason I can never keep clams in the system. Have a feeling it may be related to the PH. Question is should I fully saturate the limewater and just use the cal reactor to supplement the remaining need or should I not fully saturate the lime water and use a lower dose and still rely on the calcium rreactor for the majority of the supplementation?

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you opened your house to let in fresh air in a while?

Yes and it helps a bit but nowhere near sufficient. Even using a co2 scrubber the max night PH is 7.4 which is not terrible but would like to see better. Yhe tank is in the basement and it's not feasible where I live to keep windows open 24/7.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just turned down my CARX and installed an Avast kalk stirrer. It brought my pH from lows around 7.5/6 to 7.9, as well as cut the swings from about 0.5 to about 0.1. I plan on using the stirrer as a pH aid and will turn up the CARX to do the heavy lifting as demand increases.

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just turned down my CARX and installed an Avast kalk stirrer. It brought my pH from lows around 7.5/6 to 7.9, as well as cut the swings from about 0.5 to about 0.1. I plan on using the stirrer as a pH aid and will turn up the CARX to do the heavy lifting as demand increases.

Are you using it fully saturate at 2tsp per gallon? My first attempt at 1/2 tsp per gallon did nothing.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using it fully saturate at 2tsp per gallon? My first attempt at 1/2 tsp per gallon did nothing.

It’s fully saturated, but I’m dosing about 1/5 of my daily evaporation rate through the kalk stirrer while my ATO Is just RODI.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you testing ph? I would double or triple check your tests with other test kits before doing too much. Ph changes can cause burning.

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s fully saturated, but I’m dosing about 1/5 of my daily evaporation rate through the kalk stirrer while my ATO Is just RODI.

Thanks. I am doing something similar. I am dosing 50% of my daily evaporation with the apex dos and the rest of the evaporation is from ATO.

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose my alk at 5 am and 10 am. Lights go on at 12:30 pm. I feel this helps bump ph in those hours.

Problem is my tank sucks out alk and if I am not dosing throughout the day I can have a 4DKH swing.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 56 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back