Low pH help

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been battling a number of problems recently; most just recently discovered.
This has escalated into a ‘perfect storm’ situation. I could use some help.
My initial issue was bubble algae. My LFS gave me Reef Flex to treat it.
While medicating the tank, my wife bought me an Apex with Trident. When I installed it, I realized my Hanna Calcium checker was as accurate as a hockey puck and my tank was crashing because my Calcium level was actually 280 after a 20% water change (Hanna said it was 504).
So, while dosing B-Ionic part two for days to raise my calcium 10-20 ppm per day, my pH has been falling through the floor (7.8-8 during the day and 7.6-7.5 at night, with the range in nighttime swings increasing toward a .5 difference).
When I started maintenance and water change at the end of the Reef Flex treatment, I opened my refugium to find almost all my chaeto had melted away.
Is there any way to increase and balance my pH? Or, should I just wait for my chaeto ball to recover and maintain 420 calcium and Alkalinity at 10?

…bubble algae decreased, but I fear nothing short of manually removing it over time will work.
0E03A6CD-308D-4163-9714-C9977090B76A.png
1A5230FE-0732-4C03-8835-769593D5D614.png

xCry0x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it is worth, vibrant 100% will knock out bubble algae. I had it all over my tank and that stuff eradicated it permanently years ago for me.

I use soda ash for my alk two part since it has a (strong) ph raising effect.

No familiarity with bionic since I've always used brs two part.

Upvote 0

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you double checked your parameters using other tests or at the LFS?

Upvote 0

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto on a reverse lighting schedule will help ph. Along with skimmers, more surface agitation, opening a window, running air line for skimmer outside. Any bottled products and soda ash are a temporary boost and shouldn't be used to manage Ph, only alkalinity.

Upvote 0

xCry0x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto on a reverse lighting schedule will help ph. Along with skimmers, more surface agitation, opening a window, running air line for skimmer outside. Any bottled products and soda ash are a temporary boost and shouldn't be used to manage Ph, only alkalinity.

The purpose of soda ash as an alk supplement vs baking soda is to function as a mechanism to boost ph.

I wouldn't call it temporary if that is your consistent long term method of maintaining the correct alk and in doing so also elevating ph.

Leaving a window open is arguably more of a short term fix unless you live in a climate conducive to leaving your window open 24x7x365. For most, that route is at best a seasonal solution, assuming the tank is even located somewhere with a window that can be opened.

Upvote 0

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The purpose of soda ash as an alk supplement vs baking soda is to function as a mechanism to boost ph.

I wouldn't call it temporary if that is your consistent long term method of maintaining the correct alk and in doing so also elevating ph.

Leaving a window open is arguably more of a short term fix unless you live in a climate conducive to leaving your window open 24x7x365. For most, that route is at best a seasonal solution, assuming the tank is even located somewhere with a window that can be opened.
So nothing to add, just that I'm wrong? Even @Randy Holmes-Farley says dosing doesn't significantly effect ph

Upvote 0

Mark laar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was battling low ph recently 7.4/5, my corals didn't grow at all.
I installed a Co2 scrubber and my pH increased to 8.4/5
Corals started growing again.
Best decision ever.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ClownSchool

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dropped in an air stone, running my skimmer cup dry to ensure aerated water cycles back into the system at the highest flow, so I guess I’ll just wait for my chaeto to regrow as it’s already on a 12 hour schedule opposite the DT’s schedule.
My calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium have only been balanced at the right levels for 2 days, so I was just hoping there was something to do because I know .4-.5 pH swings isn’t healthy.

Upvote 0

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back