Low ph in 3 week old tank.

CourtNjoeZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand how you have the media hooked to the intake without the co2 scrubber itself?
1643246882757.png

CourtNjoeZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like somethin I’d smoke weed out of in high school lol!
I graduated from them so now i use them for fish stuff! LOL

I ordered the icecap co2 scrubber will have it in a few days and ill set that up. This was more of a test to see if this was my issue but i dont think that i had any sort of grasp as to how a co2 scrubber actually "works". always learning

CourtNjoeZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taken off a icecap retailers page. Try it out and see if it makes a difference.

Installing the IceCap CO2 Scrubber is Super Easy
The IceCap CO2 Scrubber can be installed on just about any aquarium with a protein skimmer. Just connect the tubing from the air intake on your protein skimmer to the output side of the CO2 scrubber. You may be able to remove the silencer from your protein skimmer and attach the tubing directly to the skimmer pump’s venturi. Next, remove the cartridge inside the scrubber. Add 1-2 tablespoons of RODI water to the bottom of the scrubber. Fill the cartridge with IceCap Carbon Dioxide Adsorption Media (or your preferred CO2 absorbent media) and place it back inside the scrubber. Be careful not to allow the CO2 media to come into contact with the water you put inside the scrubber. Finally, put the lid back on the scrubber and tighten it. Test the pH level of your aquarium water hourly (or as frequently as possible) during the first few days of use. Once the pH level begins to drop (usually after 2-4 weeks), it’s time to replace the media inside. Most carbon dioxide removal media changes colors once it’s depleted, so you’ll likely have a visual indicator as well to help you determine when it’s time to swap it out.
Where did you find this set of directions?

OP
OP
R

Reef_prop88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It’s in the instructions for my bulk reef supply scrubber also. Whenever mine goes dry I see my ph drop off.

CourtNjoeZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It’s in the instructions for my bulk reef supply scrubber also. Whenever mine goes dry I see my ph drop off.
Hmm okay. Mine came in today =) im going to do 2tsps and off to the races!

OP
OP
R

Reef_prop88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm okay. Mine came in today =) im going to do 2tsps and off to the races!
Bet you see between 8.3 and 8.4 within a day. Plan on changing it out weekly possibly and if ph starts dropping check if the water dried up. That icecap media will turn purple on you when its getting used up also.

CourtNjoeZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bet you see between 8.3 and 8.4 within a day. Plan on changing it out weekly possibly and if ph starts dropping check if the water dried up. That icecap media will turn purple on you when its getting used up also.

Attachments

• PXL_20220201_012229623.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220201_012229623.MP.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 23

CourtNjoeZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did your ph go up?
honestly no. its more stable but has not gone up at all. I'm starting to wonder if my probe is wrong. The only other method of testing i have right now is a API ph test and that's idk not accurate lol.

I'm going to investigate my RO a little further. I'm using Fritz RPM salt. might be a low ph mix idk. so I have too many factors still.

The 10ml (2tsp) of water was gone in a day though so SOMETHING is happening but I'm not sure what.

OP
OP
R

Reef_prop88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have corals right now and are you dosing alk? If so you might want to start dosing soda ash rather than sodium bicarbonate because soda ash will raise ph along with the alk.

CourtNjoeZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have corals right now and are you dosing alk? If so you might want to start dosing soda ash rather than sodium bicarbonate because soda ash will raise ph along with the alk.
I Use the BRS soda ash. and their calcium / magnesium

I test every day and make my corrections. I have a bunch of corals. acro monti mushrooms zoas torches a hammer just a bunch of things I liked when I looked at them =)

Bit of background. I had a 55tall tank that was a night mare just to keep the equipment happy... diy mess for the cheap cheap. upgraded to a red sea reefer 350. love its look and the equipment is great. i have a trigger systems 26 sump with the felt roller ect. got the apex for it and the light for the apex. really nice set up. BUT in my haste and cheap mindset I forgot that I was going to use my return pump and power heads to save money so i had to transfer everything instant tank style. that being said the corals have grown more in this tank then the whole year they were in the previous tank.

So anyway I am kind of chasing my tail and kind of ahead of the game if that is possible.

CourtNjoeZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my pH situation I recalibrated the probe and low and behold I'm at 8.44 solid. I'm thinking a monthly calibration process is in order for the remainder of my reefing career

Also I gave carbon dosing some vodka a shot. Cleaned the tank up fast and didn't seem to have an adverse effect even after my buddy took care of my tank for a few days while I was away and he gave it a drink every day. 1ml per 10g so it was way over doing it. That being said I think 1ml a day is more where it should be (charts research ECT) and perhaps rotating between vodka vinegar and sugar since in my readings there is a debate about which bacteria do what and use what. Feed them all! Closer to real life the better no?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back