Low pH issues?? Make your own CO2 scrubber!!

Jordan pitts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soda lime is

a mixture of calcium oxide and sodium hydroxide.

Gardening lime is .
The primary active component is calcium carbonate. Additional chemicals vary depending on the mineral source and may include calcium oxide, magnesium oxide and magnesium carbonate.

Unless you know for sure what all ingredients are in that product I wouldn’t use it . I’m sure it also wouldn’t change color.

The soda lime I use is actually a medical grade product not an agricultural grade product.

I would say no.
Ok

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@120reefkeeper
Just curious did you take the air filter out of your air pump down in the bucket? Also did you ever stir around the soda lime?

My air pump doesn’t have an air filter . I never stirred the soda lime in the bucket . I’ve noticed that the bucket method uses soda lime at a slower rate. I just change out the media every 2 months regardless if it’s all purple or not .

Bruce7267ad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My air pump doesn’t have an air filter . I never stirred the soda lime in the bucket . I’ve noticed that the bucket method uses soda lime at a slower rate. I just change out the media every 2 months regardless if it’s all purple or not .
The reason I ask about the filter is because I'm using one of those tetra ones from Petco and I see it has a cotton cloth air filter. I guess it would hurt to take it out

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I ask about the filter is because I'm using one of those tetra ones from Petco and I see it has a cotton cloth air filter. I guess it would hurt to take it out

I don’t think it would bother anything to leave it in. Either way I don’t believe it makes a difference.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 68 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back