Low phos and low nitrate?

BaileysTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So pretty much I love the look of caulerpa and made an external refugium and put some in, it grew 5 new “leafs” in 24 hours. Before adding it in both my nitrate and phosphate where at 4ppm now both have shot down to zero. Should I dose some nitrate and phosphate?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So pretty much I love the look of caulerpa and made an external refugium and put some in, it grew 5 new “leafs” in 24 hours. Before adding it in both my nitrate and phosphate where at 4ppm now both have shot down to zero. Should I dose some nitrate and phosphate?
How are you measuring Nitrate and Phosphate?

Macro Algae can use a lot, but they will normally just slow growth once Nitrate gets about 0.1ppm.

It's not a hard zero like you can do with Carbon dosing, or like a hard 0 phosphate with GFO or LaCl3.

If you dose, you'll just feed the algae - I'd just give it less light.

edit: It's also eating trace elements that could bottom out -and you probably want to avoid that. Like I said, less light.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BaileysTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you measuring Nitrate and Phosphate?

Macro Algae can use a lot, but they will normally just slow growth once Nitrate gets about 0.1ppm.

It's not a hard zero like you can do with Carbon dosing, or like a hard 0 phosphate with GFO or LaCl3.

If you dose, you'll just feed the algae - I'd just give it less light.

edit: It's also eating trace elements that could bottom out -and you probably want to avoid that. Like I said, less light.
I give trace element supplants, I hassle use Hannah instruments but ran out of reagent so used API and I assume it’s probably very low just not 0

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about these numbers without getting a Hannah Ultra low for at least phosphate/phosphorous. Anything else is being blind.

The macro will slow down as the building blocks limit growth. IME, they never take it to zero or to dangerous levels.

You still likely have plenty of available building blocks for your corals even if your backend numbers are near to zero. This is no issue as long as you keep feeding your fish.

Iron is the only element that I have ever had to dose when growing massive amounts of macro. Products are made with manganese and other things, but I have never had to dose any of these. I do regular water changes, so that might be enough of the non-iron things.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 93 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back