Low phosphates,....dose??

Mark75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seem to have driven my phosphates to undetectable dosing nitrates(stump remover).

Tested week ago, phosphates .01, today phosphates 0.

Nitrates are still lower than I would like,..1.5ppm,... but I have stopped dosing because this is the only thing I could think would be dropping my phosphates so low.

Slm222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would dosing potassium nitrate lower phosphates?

It should only raise nitrates and potassium

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding bacteria via red field ratio I would guess. Increased nitrate input creating an ideal N:p ratio for consumption by bacteria and algae, which can drive phosphates undetectable. Just a guess.

Were it me I would continue the KNO3 dosing but feed feed feed like you don't even care. The fish will be happier. I seem to notice when I over feed I tend to see phosphate trending upward rather than nitrate.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't dose, I'd suggest feeding more and more frequently. Ultra low PO4 can wreak some havoc on SPS. I was one of the first people of know of to dose nitrates and I experienced the same phenomenon and corals really started to suffer. I don't suggest dosing nitrates for this very reason.

OP
OP
Mark75

Mark75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What has me concerned is I am seeing "zero" on a Hanna phosphorus ULR checker. :eek:

I would question the results but they are repeatable and mirror my nitrate increase.

2 months ago- nitrate 0/phosphorus 9 (phosphate .03)
Begin dosing nitrates- nitrates 1/phosphorus 5 (phosphate .02)
1 month ago- nitrates 1.5/phosphorus 3 (phosphate .01)
current- nitrates 2/phosphorus 0 (phosphate .00?)

I have stopped dosing nitrates even though I have not reached my target of 5 ppm, my SPS are not rtn/stn/bleaching but I have zero growth and less polyp extension then normal. In my experience SPS that are not showing growth will eventually start stn and it is very hard to save them. I would like to be proactive and not wait till I start loosing frags.:)

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't dose, I'd suggest feeding more and more frequently. Ultra low PO4 can wreak some havoc on SPS. I was one of the first people of know of to dose nitrates and I experienced the same phenomenon and corals really started to suffer. I don't suggest dosing nitrates for this very reason.
Agreed, at this point it looks like the KNO3 is doing the job at providing the N but also effectively getting rid of the P. Just stop dosing Spectracide and feed more and more to bring the P back up.

DLuce510

A.D.I.D.A.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've dosed this with no bad affect, I'd keep dosing the stump remover.
1469913923336-1998699289.jpg

OP
OP
Mark75

Mark75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing nitrates and phosphates????? I have zero algae as of now but I would think dosing both of these would fix that!:D

I am going to take advantage of the 0/0 nutrient situation and feed really heavy and dose a bunch of fluff such as Fuel, Reef Snow, Acro Power and so on,...if nothing else I should get some polyp extension. If I can't raise the phosphates in a couple of days I will look into dosing phosphates (I can't believe I even said that!o_O). Wait a minute???,...doesn't one of these have a reputation for causing cyno?!!?!? I can deal with a little of the green stuff but I don't want cyno.:eek:

DLuce510

A.D.I.D.A.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing a couple of ml's sounds a lot easier than dosing a bunch of food, plus it's pure, just p04. I haven't seen any cyano from dosing n03 or p04 but I have seen it from certain aminos.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing a couple of ml's sounds a lot easier than dosing a bunch of food, plus it's pure, just p04. I haven't seen any cyano from dosing n03 or p04 but I have seen it from certain aminos.
Yup. Aminos always equates to cyano for me

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The easiest thing to do is make sure you have a healthy fish load and feed them good.

Trying to chase those numbers with P04 and N03 additives is difficult to administer and just because you hit your targets won't mean the acros will get better.

A tank with 6 fish and .03 P04 and 2.0 NO3 will garner better results than the same tank with 2 fish and the exact same readings.

Aminos and corals foods can be problematic as they can fuel algae and cyano very fast..................you can end up with a whole other set of problems.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^A+

Elegance Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the others that are saying, "Just feed more".
Stop chasing some magical number on PO4 and NO3 tests.
The important part is the PO4 and nitrogen that's inside the coral. Not so much whats floating around in the open water. A well fed coral will produce plenty of fertilizer for its zooxanthellae, even when PO4 and NO3 are undetectable in the open water of the system.
Just my 2 cents
Peace
EC

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back