Low sulphur levels is it an issue?

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi
Just got a triton test back and I have low sulphur levels, is this a problem? and if so does any one know if an additive for it?
Na 10442 mg/l 10700 mg/l -258.00

Ca 439 mg/l 440 mg/l -1.00

Mg 1279 mg/l 1370 mg/l -91.00

K 412 mg/l 400 mg/l 12.00

Br 64 mg/l 62 mg/l 2.00

B 2.226 mg/l 4,5 mg/l -2.27

Sr 2.653 mg/l 8 mg/l -5.35

S 523 mg/l 900 mg/l -377.00

Thanks Paul

GAcoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always been told, "just add what you can test" . Now, if your corals look "healthy" and no signs of tissue loss or pale colors, why the need of adding something you could not keep track of. Just saying. I'll be adding a Denitrifier to my system one day, and as you know this uses Sulphur to work and decrease the amount of No3, I don't see the need to add an additive to keep up the demand... if there's any need it...
Good luck!

dgrigor02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My S showed low on Triton test.

I use Randy's diy magnesium and switched to the all magnesium sulfate recipe for my mg additions for a few months. Next Triton test it was back in range. If you prefer to use all triton supplements they have a sulfate additive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mortie31

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My S showed low on Triton test.

I use Randy's diy magnesium and switched to the all magnesium sulfate recipe for my mg additions for a few months. Next Triton test it was back in range. If you prefer to use all triton supplements they have a sulfate additive.
Thank you, I wasn't aware of a triton additive, I'll look into that. Does anyone know the role and importance of sulphur?

bios

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some ammino such metionina, taurina, and some others contain s, that is necessary for their syntesis..
So at last dose ammino..
And dont worry

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sulfur primarily takes the form of sulfate in seawater, the third must abundant ion by weight.

It will get depressed if you use calcium chloride for calcium and do not add a form of sulfate, such as magnesium sulfate. My DIY two part keeps it balanced this way.

The data on how much of a problem it is is very weak, and it may not be one. BUt I'd try to target natural levles when possible.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some ammino such metionina, taurina, and some others contain s, that is necessary for their syntesis..
So at last dose ammino..
And dont worry

Those won't add enough sulfate to be useful.

OP
OP
Mortie31

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone, I use Kalk topped up with CaCl and Bicarb, and the 3 balling lite additives, I've never had the need to dose Mg and therefore don't add Mg Sulphate, I have been using this for years but doing weekly water changes, I have reduced water changes over the last few months and been dosing NACL free salt, didn't think Sulper would reduce this quickly. I will get a supplement and bring upto natural levels.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sulfate only gets depleted by adding chloride and the subsequent reduction when salinity is brought back to normal, not by any substantial consumption process. The calcium chloride additions would have been the cause (or an off salt mix to begin with).

OP
OP
Mortie31

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All
I contacted triton regarding dosing their sulphate additive, this is the reply I got from them, i don't have any deep sand beds and use aquaforest salt, does hydrogen sulphide strip sulphate?
There answer doesn't make sense to me especially the amount I need to dose to correct levels, there sulphate additive must be incredibly diluted..

Hi Paul
Sulphur is a very dangerous element and dosing it should only attempted by advanced aquarists. This is why we do not give out the dosage information freely.

Firstly you should identify why the reading is low, usually bad salt mixes with low levels, or deep areas of sand causing hydrogen sulphide to form in dark patches. If you can remove those two problems then the level can be fixed without dosing.

As a last resort you can dose the liquid for 14 days at 450ml per day, which totals to 6.3L, which as you can see is a lot.

If I were you I would change salt brands to Tropic Marin Pro, check for deep areas of sand and thin out any dark patches.

Best Regards

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All
I contacted triton regarding dosing their sulphate additive, this is the reply I got from them, i don't have any deep sand beds and use aquaforest salt, does hydrogen sulphide strip sulphate?
There answer doesn't make sense to me especially the amount I need to dose to correct levels, there sulphate additive must be incredibly diluted..

Hi Paul
Sulphur is a very dangerous element and dosing it should only attempted by advanced aquarists. This is why we do not give out the dosage information freely.

Firstly you should identify why the reading is low, usually bad salt mixes with low levels, or deep areas of sand causing hydrogen sulphide to form in dark patches. If you can remove those two problems then the level can be fixed without dosing.

As a last resort you can dose the liquid for 14 days at 450ml per day, which totals to 6.3L, which as you can see is a lot.

If I were you I would change salt brands to Tropic Marin Pro, check for deep areas of sand and thin out any dark patches.

Best Regards

What a terribly uninformed answer they gave. :( :( :(

The hydrogen sulfide comment is utter hogwash. HOGWASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope this is not just a case of intentional misinformation.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Randy, could you please let us know any outcomes, what are your views on the huge volume they have asked me to dose sulphate to balance levels?

I can't answer volumes since it depends on concentration, but it will take a lot of dry sodium sulfate to boost sulfate levels a lot.

Boosting sulfate by 1000 ppm (sulfur by 333 ppm) in 100 gallons of tank water requires 555 grams of dry sodium sulfate.

OP
OP
Mortie31

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sulphur levels are S 523 mg/l 900 mg/l -377.00 from my triton results.
So I need to increase by 377mg/L I'm not very good at chemistry or maths my tank volume is 800L I can buy sodium sulphate as Randy indicated above, do I just mix it with RODI water and how much to mix and add, any help is very much appreciated.
Thanks Paul

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sulphur levels are S 523 mg/l 900 mg/l -377.00 from my triton results.
So I need to increase by 377mg/L I'm not very good at chemistry or maths my tank volume is 800L I can buy sodium sulphate as Randy indicated above, do I just mix it with RODI water and how much to mix and add, any help is very much appreciated.
Thanks Paul

It will raise salinity as you do so, so watch that parameter.

Dissolve it in RO/DI, and add over several days.

alanjeffery

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Sulphur is a very dangerous element and dosing it should only attempted by advanced aquarists. This is why we do not give out the dosage information freely"
So Triton will sell you a Sulphate supplement but because its "very dangerous" they don't tell you how to use it.
That is illogical and wrong!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Sulphur is a very dangerous element and dosing it should only attempted by advanced aquarists. This is why we do not give out the dosage information freely"
So Triton will sell you a Sulphate supplement but because its "very dangerous" they don't tell you how to use it.
That is illogical and wrong!

Yes, totally wrong. Dosing sodium sulfate is harmless if dosed properly, and since so much is needed, is unlikely to be grossly overdosed (and might not be any concern anyway). Not sure why they keep talking about sulfur and I think they are misunderstanding what it really is. I've written to Triton to get them to correct this advice.

OP
OP
Mortie31

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could someone check my maths
If I need to raise my sulphate by 337mg/L, 800L tank = 301.6 grams sodium sulphate dissolved in RO added over several days, I'm not sure if this is correct due to it being sodium sulphate and not pure sulphate.
Thanks Paul

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back