lowering copper levels in source water help please

atextrans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have been trying to set up sps tank for almost 8 months keep finding copper. don't know why i took so long but found .11 copper level using hanna checker at my kitchen sink using brs 150 gallon a day 6 stage rodi 1 micron sediment 1st followed by 2 1 micron carbon blocks then 2 75 gpd dow chemical membranes followed by 2 mixed bed di resins and finally 1 spectra pure silica buster di after this with all brand new filters and di resin my levels on hanna checker are .02ppm is there a way to get it out before it goes in the tank i believe its not the house because i ran a hose to my meter from the city water that is a copper valve i have to hook up to but only little valve and i showed .09 on the hanna so i believe its in the city water

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I always thought activated carbon and protein skimming would remove any metals .

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would suspect too low water pressure for your 150 gpd unit, or your carbon is exhausted.
If these are not the case consider re-configuring your unit to get 2 carbon blocks before membrane.

OP
OP
atextrans

atextrans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 2 carbon blocks before the membrane i read 4 tds into the di and 0 out changed all the filters and blocks yesterday i am running 58 psi have a booster pump but not hooked up with it hooked up runs at 85 psi still copper on the hanna

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0 ppm tds water from a functioning ro/di will not have that much copper in it. The ro membrane and the di are the main things that remove it from tap water.

Double check the tds, the tds meter, and the copper checker.

OP
OP
atextrans

atextrans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its been a nightmare i put copper power in the beginning for the fish had to quarantine in the tank no space i have a fully automatic system with mixing station and doing auto water changes so have been running carbon and cuprisorb in media reactors trying to get rid of it assumed rodi was taking out all the copper finally after braking down the whole system realized was just putting back in what was being taken out with the awc's

OP
OP
atextrans

atextrans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you think it might be the hanna the rodi unit is only 8 months old and like i said changed everything yesterday but not the membranes i have 2 tds meters both say the same reading i am scarred to buy any corals and inverts don't want to kill them i thought they were supposed to be accurate i did see where it is + or- .05 but i figured their would have to be some present to read anything

OP
OP
atextrans

atextrans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would like to say thank you everyone for reading and replying especially you mr. farley always read your stuff when i can and must say at least to me you r the godfather of reef chemistry and taking your time to help out so many people is amazing thank u again

OP
OP
atextrans

atextrans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does anyone know if the hanna high range checker is accurate in freshwater or is it marine only

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would like to say thank you everyone for reading and replying especially you mr. farley always read your stuff when i can and must say at least to me you r the godfather of reef chemistry and taking your time to help out so many people is amazing thank u again
Lol

Thanks.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 82 48.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back