Lowering nitrate question

Fighter_of_Foo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there a a million posts already on this so apologies for the post in advance.

My Nitrates are constantly around 30 any suggestions on how to lower them or what I’m doing wrong. Only 10 month in reefing and first tank.
Should I add any extra filtration;carbon dosing, chemipure, etc?
Any advice is welcome

Tank/gear/maintenance
IM 40g
IM skimmer
1 filter sock (changed weekly)
IM caddy with marinepure bio ballIs
media reactor with carbon
5g water Chang weekly (pretty consistently) with good tested water
Frozen food once a day and every couple days I spot feed my LPS

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you having algae or other issues ?
Have you had the test double checked with an lfs?

Are you running a sump, canister filter or hob Refugium ?

OP
OP
Fighter_of_Foo

Fighter_of_Foo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae is not a big problem, small spots. Tank is an all in one. I could change one of the rear chambers to a fugue, but not sure if it would be large enough to make a difference. I may try it anyway.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae is not a big problem, small spots. Tank is an all in one. I could change one of the rear chambers to a fugue, but not sure if it would be large enough to make a difference. I may try it anyway.
IMO , don’t let numbers on the test guide you. Go the other way. Look with your eyes and use the test as indicators of what’s happening.
A lot of zoa and lps guys would not mind those numbers.

(I can show you a tank with Po4 of 3.0)

A fwiw, in my old jbj cube , a lot of gunk would build up. As these rot they can put a lot of no3 back in the tank. Like tha canister filter , it can become a nitrate factory.

Eggpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 month old tank was having nitrate issues. I couldn't get it lower than 25. It was hard doing anything more than 25% water changes on a 150 gallon tank, so that was only small dents in the Nitrates. But suddenly it has dropped to 5-10 ppm. Only explanation I have is -- I started changing filter socks every 3-4 days . The socks were gross. Pressure washed them in the back yard. Looked like mud. that will be a huge difference for you.

Eggpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, for me, Chaeto has always been the difference maker. Both in my biocube 29 and now my 150 , Chaeto has been the main reason nitrates have dropped. Not sure how easily you can incorporate that in your tank .

Florida Sunshine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the advise on the filter socks. BRS did a video on them not too long ago and it was recommended that you change/clean your socks every 2-3 days.

Eggpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the advise on the filter socks. BRS did a video on them not too long ago and it was recommended that you change/clean your socks every 2-3 days.

Agreed, seems mine turn brown and water flow is effected by day 3 or 4. All that brown gunk is just sitting in the water. Needs to come out.

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates were high early on with my tank. At one point I dosed vitamins c for other purposes and as a side affect my nitrates went to almost nothing. I stopped dosing vc a couple months back and now struggle to keep them up at times yo the point I overfeed just to keep my softies and lps happy.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 40 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back