Lowering nitrate

  • Thread starter Thread starter maf154
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

maf154

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 7, 2014
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Location
Connecticut
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my nitrate is around 10 just wondering on what the best way to lower nitrate besides water changes, is there any other way to lower without using nos pox not so much sure I trust that anymore?
 
A refugium or an algae scrubber is what I use. And a good skimmer.
 
Look in the diy forums there is couple different reactors that can help also look into ur phos if ur nit that high ur phos usually runs way higher
 
I'm gonna be doing the vodka dosing method starting tomorrow. I will let u know how it goes
 
I use a ATS, Chaeto and Red Mangroves to export nutrients now as natural nutrient exports and a Skimmer to mechanically export. IT is keeping the nitrates at around 2 and 5 on the high side. The chaeto and mangroves were just added to the system, so i am hoping that it will help out compete the nuisance algae in the tank.

You need to decide which method is the best for you and stick with it.
 
How old is the tank? Is this normal part of a cycle is a new tank?
What is the setup of the tank? Do you have a Skimmer, a refugium? are you growing chaeto?
What is causing the buildup? are you over feeding
Are you using RODI Water? and are the filters good?

I believe in trying to find the source.

Here is a good read written by Randy Holmes-Farley a while ago
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/8/chemistry
 
How old is the tank? Is this normal part of a cycle is a new tank?
What is the setup of the tank? Do you have a Skimmer, a refugium? are you growing chaeto?
What is causing the buildup? are you over feeding
Are you using RODI Water? and are the filters good?

I believe in trying to find the source.

Here is a good read written by Randy Holmes-Farley a while ago
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/8/chemistry
Tank is well established, I did take out all my live rock moved it to basement tank, I had a horrible hair algae issue, so I bought newer live rock, I am going bleach and use muratic acid to strip the basement rock, then I will get dead rock. No fuge, rs200 sump, urchin pro skimmer, ro/di water 5 stage brs. Tds reads 0. Using carbon, phos net, phos pads, and chemi pure. Feed once A day mix in once in every other. No I don't have an algae issue but not thrilled with number of 10 ppm, I know it's not horrific but not great either, I do have a little red cynao. Though not much. 75 gallon tank with led lighting
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new