Lowering nitrates

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm at the point where I MIGHT want to start using something to lower my nitrates. My 29g bio cube is about 9 months old, and until about a month ago my nitrates stayed around 5 PPG. Now they're steady around 30. I lowered it to sub 20 a few weeks ago with large water changes, but they've snuck back up and stayed. Everything and everybody is happy in the tank and besides coralline, algae is non existent.

My stock list:
2 clownfish
1 fire fish
1 diamond goby
1 pistol shrimp
12 hermits
12 assorted snails
2 emerald crabs
Fire shrimp
A few LPS and soft corals as well as a couple SPS (chalice and Hydnophora exesa) which are growing and looking great.

My question is, do I just leave it be since everyone is happy and healthy? Or do I combat it and start using something to lower it? I like to keep my tank as chemical free as possible. Right now all I use is the stock protein skimmer, filter floss and a bag of carbon before return pump.

IMG_3784.JPG

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liked nopox when I had to lower nitrates without water changes. I had to dose phosphates though because they were near zero when I started treating the nitrates that were near your levels. That being said, your tank looks great with your current levels. Maybe just increase water change size and/or frequency.

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody else? Should I worry and try to get them down?

hbrochs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry if everything looks happy. You could start doing minor changes to keep them from going higher. Change filter socks more frequently, like every 2 or three days. Dose a little bacteria once a week. Slight increase in water change frequency.
If those things stabilize it, then all good. If you want them lower, then consider carbon dosing.

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If everything is looking happy and you are without any algae problem then just leave it. It will find its own balance.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't worry too much.. With smaller tanks, lowing nitrates is as easy as increasing your water change frequency (given your source water is nitrate- free) I usually reccomend a 15% water change weekly for tanks similar to yours. I would always do less than a 30% WC regardless, and if something larger is needed, try multiple smaller water changes instead (unless there is an emergency present in which case take whatever appropriate action necessary)

You could also throw in some ornamental macro algaes, although some may be eaten by your inverts

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back