Lowering nitrates

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im running a no filter no sump setup and i have roughly 17ppm nitrate and want to get it down to around 7-10. Would things light chemipure blue or maxspect bio spheres or blocks do the trick or would getting more cuc be better? ( i have 2 banded trochus and a sand sifting star ). My tanks is a 20 gallon.

ss30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want lower nitrates the easiest way is more rock or less fish, the nitrate comes from the fish waste as ammonia which is converted to nitrite then nitrate with the bacteria living on the live rock.

More rock would look better than the maxspect ball/blocks.

17ppm of nitrate isn't that bad why do you want it lower? what is your phosphate?

OP
OP
L

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want lower nitrates the easiest way is more rock or less fish, the nitrate comes from the fish waste as ammonia which is converted to nitrite then nitrate with the bacteria living on the live rock.

More rock would look better than the maxspect ball/blocks.

17ppm of nitrate isn't that bad why do you want it lower? what is your phosphate?
I actually dont have a phosphate testing kit . I get there is no right or wrong with that amount of nitrates however alot of people keep them around 5ppm and tell me that mine is pretty high and recommend me lowering them.

OP
OP
L

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is running fine with no problems then leave it.
Well i mean my clown goby died two days ago and my cleaner shrimp died yesterday. The goby was lethargic and not eating but not sure about the cleaner shrimp.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No clue then because the cleaner shrimp was super healthy and active. No tanks mates picked on him.
Do you ever dose iodine? Crustaceans need it. Also do you have a pistol shrimp? Mine is a serial killer.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had nitrate over 200 and fish were just fine.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates are 80 and my inverts are fine. When my phosphate spike, everything suffers in their own way. I’m not sure if adding more rock or media will reduce your nitrates because they are used to process ammonia to nitrate. Other then water changes I know skimmers and algae scrubbers or refugium will do the trick, there are also things like bio pellets or no pox that lower nitrates and phosphates by focusing on feeding the bacteria that feeds on those nutrients.
without a sump tho your options come down to either a, hang on the back protein skimmers or a algae reactor.

Back