LPS Alternatives to Zoanthids?

Barncat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I crashed into this reefing hobby with the full enthusiastic intent of keeping multiple varieties of zoanthids only to discover that my young cat Keplar tends to stick his paw in the rear filter compartments of my tank (I have yet to figure out why he finds this entertaining.) Additionally, I have discovered that I also tend to just wontedly shove my hand in my aquarium without really thinking about it. Since I have ADHD, and I am 33, I know myself well enough to know that I can't really depend on myself to remember to put my gloves on every time I do something in my tank.

Since palytoxin is a thing which I would rather not have myself or my darling Keplar fall prey to, no matter how completely gorgeous zoanthids are, I'm posting here in this temple of LPS discussion in the hopes that someone can recommend me some great, undemanding and colourful LPS corals to keep instead! I already have Blastomussas on my wishlist and I have an island set aside for a Euphillia garden.

Bonus points if there's a variety that comes in purple and turquoise because I'm attracted to that colour combo like a hummingbird to nectar.

(Also should go without saying but please don't try to convince me to keep zoanthids afterall. I've already decided that that risk is too much for me and my two year old feline sweetheart Keplar. I really want to stick to LPS corals for the most part because, well, I really don't seem to like most soft corals and I am not ready to venture into the waters of SPS.)

This is Keplar; he's a big fan of my little reef tank. I would like to avoid worrying about his bizarre habit of sticking his paw in the salty brine.

2D2DBF27-4997-466B-81A6-134D168283E1.jpeg

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with some easy lps try a hammer and move to a torch....but goniopora and alveopora are some of my faves now. Still keep some zoas but love the sway of the gonis and alves

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could do some blastos. Blastomussa merletti is a smaller variety that can look nice.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acans and blastos are the first that comes to mind. Then maybe trumpet/candy canes (though they typically have a taller skeleton).

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be wrong but I don't think your going to get poisoned by sticking your hand in the tank. At least I haven't and I've pulled and plays off rocks barehanded. Not recommended ;)

As to Keplar sticking his paws in the tank, a few of these placed in strategic locations will break him of even getting on the tank. They work well for dogs and young children also :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
vp-us-m150-1_1_.png

OP
OP
Barncat

Barncat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be wrong but I don't think your going to get poisoned by sticking your hand in the tank. At least I haven't and I've pulled and plays off rocks barehanded. Not recommended ;)

As to Keplar sticking his paws in the tank, a few of these placed in strategic locations will break him of even getting on the tank. They work well for dogs and young children also :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
vp-us-m150-1_1_.png
I just don't want to take the risk.

That's really not funny, I don't want to injure him, mouse traps like that could potentially break his paw, the bones in even an adult cat's foot are tiny. I've put out doublesided tape traps in strategic places (doublesided tape covering pieces of scrap paper,) which are unpleasant for a cat to step on because they tug on the fur, and he now avoids getting up close and personal with the front of my tank (therefore bothering my fish.) Plastic dollarstore'pigeon spikes' keep him from hopping on the lid. I don't actually mind him checking out the back filter compartments (since I armoured my airline in black electrical tape,) because the fish can't see him there. I'm okay with him watching the fish from a respectful distance, I just won't have him trying to bat at them or press his nose to the glass. IMG_8321.jpeg

OP
OP
Barncat

Barncat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to derail the discussion but I would be worried about melioidosis before palytoxin.
I better look meliodosis up, I'm unfamiliar with that term!

Edit: Meliodosis does not appear to really be a problem where I live (Canada.) Confused how it would relate to my aquarium as it seems to work more like the freshwater parasite giardia than like anything dwelling in saltwater.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I better look meliodosis up, I'm unfamiliar with that term!

Edit: Meliodosis does not appear to really be a problem where I live (Canada.) Confused how it would relate to my aquarium as it seems to work more like the freshwater parasite giardia than like anything dwelling in saltwater.

It’s not native to Canada but neither are Zoas. ;)

How about toxoplasmosis? Personally I think lightning belongs on the list as well since it too kills more people than palytoxin.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0

vp-us-m150-1_1_.png
Shhh.. I pull zoas and palys bare handed all the time.

I do recommend the micromussa and acans. They easy and come in all kinds of colors

Back