LPS coral dying

Dierker2003

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a 30gallon reef tank that is currently fou through a 2.5 month (76 day) fallow period and I’m 1.5 month into it. I’ve noticed my LPS coral haven’t been doing great and they used to be happy. My zoas and gsp seem super happy. I haven’t been feeding the tank much through the fallow period because my tanks always had high nutrients and lots of excess algea so I was using the time to try and lower that. I tested and my nitrates at 10ppm. So not sure how it could be low nutrients. All my other parameters are almost bang on from where they usually are. I have my skimmer running full time also. Any advice of where to go from here would be appreciated!

image.jpg image.jpg

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems dim what lights are you running? Are you using ro water? And uhm what are your parameters like alk calc mag? Sometimes a longer break in period can be necessary for some lps untell you have some nice diversity in the water bacteria and so on. Also did you use live rock or dry rock?

I know some of these things are obvious but I get an occasional person not using rodi water

OP
OP
Dierker2003

Dierker2003

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems dim what lights are you running? Are you using ro water? And uhm what are your parameters like alk calc mag? Sometimes a longer break in period can be necessary for some lps untell you have some nice diversity in the water bacteria and so on. Also did you use live rock or dry rock?

I know some of these things are obvious but I get an occasional person not using rodi water
I’m using a reef light off Amazon but it’s the same one i used from when the coral were happy. I turned white light down a bit a while ago and also the intensity to help with algea but maybe I shouldn’t of. Yes I use rodi water. Alk is 8.7, mag is 1360, and calcium is 370, salinity 1.025. I used dry rock but the tank is well over a year old now.

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I suspect it might be the light but not sure could you post a link to the light? Your gonna want to get your calcium up a bit but I doubt thats where the problem is.
I’m using a reef light off Amazon but it’s the same one i used from when the coral were happy.

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the same boat
Got velvet
Went fallow for 6 weeks

thought to myself, this be the time to wipe out my algae, brought down my nutrients and lo and behold my lps started to look bleh, less extension and meh looking

tried feeding them more often but it didn’t do

re-introduced fish after the 6 weeks
Fed heavily and voila lps are back!
Added a roller filter and now I feed even further heavier and most lps are having a blast

I think no3/po4 is just part of the equation

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

to the op
Focus on what you changed
Light issue is less likely as your lps were thriving under the same lights prior, plus camera + exposure = unreliable

let this be a lesson for the future: Focus on what you changed

OP
OP
Dierker2003

Dierker2003

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the same boat
Got velvet
Went fallow for 6 weeks

thought to myself, this be the time to wipe out my algae, brought down my nutrients and lo and behold my lps started to look bleh, less extension and meh looking

tried feeding them more often but it didn’t do

re-introduced fish after the 6 weeks
Fed heavily and voila lps are back!
Added a roller filter and now I feed even further heavier and most lps are having a blast

I think no3/po4 is just part of the equation
That’s crazy! I’ll be adding fish back on June 4th so I hope they can hang on till then. I’ll keep trying to feed just incase.

OP
OP
Dierker2003

Dierker2003

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to the op
Focus on what you changed
Light issue is less likely as your lps were thriving under the same lights prior, plus camera + exposure = unreliable

let this be a lesson for the future: Focus on what you changed
Yes and the zoas are thriving still. I’m thinking it’s just a lack of certain nutrients they get from fish like futuretotm mentioned. Thanks!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back