LPS coral hollowed out by these tube-things?

Ironic_Water

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My willow coral (blanking on the actual type, I forget) hasn't been extending its tendrils like it used to these past two weeks.

Looking at it, I can see what was once it's base is now covered with tube-worm things, and they look to be actually partially inside the coral base - not the frag, but the base of the coral itself.

Here's a crappy picture:
PXL_20230802_232826892.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi,looks like a soft coral to me ? sponges ,algae on base ,would remove from tank and clean in SW gently w toothbrush.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My willow coral (blanking on the actual type, I forget) hasn't been extending its tendrils like it used to these past two weeks.

Looking at it, I can see what was once it's base is now covered with tube-worm things, and they look to be actually partially inside the coral base - not the frag, but the base of the coral itself.

Here's a crappy picture:
PXL_20230802_232826892.jpg
These are clatharina sponge which is a poriferan type of sponge and toothbrush may not be aggressive enough. Try toothbrush as suggested but may require a dental pick or small crochet needle to pull them off in a container of tank water

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ironic_Water

Ironic_Water

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are clatharina sponge which is a poriferan type of sponge and toothbrush may not be aggressive enough. Try toothbrush as suggested but may require a dental pick or small crochet needle to pull them off in a container of tank water
Are you sure it's a sponge? I'm just wondering because I've noticed radial tendrils coming out when I feed the tank, like a tube worm. Do sponges have filter feather mouths?

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Are you sure it's a sponge? I'm just wondering because I've noticed radial tendrils coming out when I feed the tank, like a tube worm. Do sponges have filter feather mouths?
If you see openings, may be sponge with tunicates but closer pic May reveal

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back