Built like a tank: my Innovative Marine Nuvo EXT 100 build

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’m looking at the 100 ext tank too. How do you level the tank since it looks like there’s no adjustable feet?

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
plastic shims under corners of stand
Thanks, by the way anyone fitted a suitable fleece roller to the RFS 39 sump that comes with the tank?
Also is the black acrylic wall completely glued to the back glass and will not detach over time?
Can anyone who has the tank for awhile comment if any problem arises later one with the acrylic weir+back wall glued to the glass.
Also do they use standard ie imperial instead of metric bulkheads for the overflow box?
I'm so close to pulling the trigger on the IM100 ext. I like the fact that it's a bean animal overflow and external overflow and has two separate return pipes. That way I can easily get close to 1000Gph flow thru the system.

Appreciate any help in this regard

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, by the way anyone fitted a suitable fleece roller to the RFS 39 sump that comes with the tank?
Also is the black acrylic wall completely glued to the back glass and will not detach over time?
Can anyone who has the tank for awhile comment if any problem arises later one with the acrylic weir+back wall glued to the glass.
Also do they use standard ie imperial instead of metric bulkheads for the overflow box?
I'm so close to pulling the trigger on the IM100 ext. I like the fact that it's a bean animal overflow and external overflow and has two separate return pipes. That way I can easily get close to 1000Gph flow thru the system.

Appreciate any help in this regard
someone modified the sump to accommodate a fleece. They dremmeled it to fit. I believe they did the Klird4

Someone also had an issue with separation with the back glass but IM was very quick to replace it.

You'd have to do a search for the threads.

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
someone modified the sump to accommodate a fleece. They dremmeled it to fit. I believe they did the Klird4

Someone also had an issue with separation with the back glass but IM was very quick to replace it.

You'd have to do a search for the threads.
Yikes, - Someone also had an issue with separation with the back glass but IM was very quick to replace it. -
Do you mean the entire glass back wall wall falling out? that's serious. Or was it just the acrylic but no leaks.
I want to avoid a situation like the redsea tanks

Ohdo you mean this thread

That's a bit different. the acrylic wall is a sump wall and for a AIO or intenal overflow. The external just has the acrylic glued to the glass back wall

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes, - Someone also had an issue with separation with the back glass but IM was very quick to replace it. -
Do you mean the entire glass back wall wall falling out? that's serious. Or was it just the acrylic but no leaks.

That's a bit different. the acrylic wall is a sump wall and for a AIO or intenal overflow. The external just has the acrylic glued to the glass back wall

took me a little while to find them.

Last edited:

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 170 was off o er a 1/2" on one side. I used wood and plastic shims. I then used caulking tape to hide the shims and keep water from going under the tank. I used same tape to seal the panel the sump sits on to keep water from going to the floor.
Some have replaced the supplied sump plastic sheet with wood but imo its not needed if you do this.
I shimmed the bottom crossbars. This make the stand very stable with no movement and I still dont have water in it yet.
Also the issue with the back plasic lifting off may have been helped by a gap between the black plastic and the glass. I filled mine in with black silicone. Im not sure what they use but it looks like standard silicone when looking into the crack. Ideal would be to use a 2 part epoxy instead of silicone.
20240203_113618.jpg
20240203_113632.jpg

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 170 was off o er a 1/2" on one side. I used wood and plastic shims. I then used caulking tape to hide the shims and keep water from going under the tank. I used same tape to seal the panel the sump sits on to keep water from going to the floor.
Some have replaced the supplied sump plastic sheet with wood but imo its not needed if you do this.
I shimmed the bottom crossbars. This make the stand very stable with no movement and I still dont have water in it yet.
Also the issue with the back plasic lifting off may have been helped by a gap between the black plastic and the glass. I filled mine in with black silicone. Im not sure what they use but it looks like standard silicone when looking into the crack. Ideal would be to use a 2 part epoxy instead of silicone.
20240203_113618.jpg
20240203_113632.jpg
do we have a fill date scheduled?

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do not think these issues would make me rethink buying it. IM stands by their warranty and is quick at resolving which is important. And not like the RedSea failures. So far I'm OK with socks. ReefMats have occasional issues too where they suddenly advance and waste a whole roll. Changing a sock every 4 days isn't bad. I bought extras to wash later.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do we have a fill date scheduled?
Wont be until June. I need to decide on my frag system. I was going to go with a larger system but I just went back to the ext 50 as it is the only tank that will fit the corner of the room. I need to get it ordered before June as I want both wet with TBS base rock to start.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think these issues would make me rethink buying it. IM stands by their warranty and is quick at resolving which is important. And not like the RedSea failures. So far I'm OK with socks. ReefMats have occasional issues too where they suddenly advance and waste a whole roll. Changing a sock every 4 days isn't bad. I bought extras to wash later.
Yea I will be running mesh socks.
I have 200,300,400 micron mesh and a few felt ones if needed.

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

took me a little while to find them.
Thank you v much looks like it is caused by water creeping into any space between acrylic wall. Acrylic distortion
good to know IM stand by their products. Also I see that they cure their silicon for 14 days. It maybe a different silicon than Red Sea. I read on a German forum that the correct silicon will take 14 days to cure and in that forum there is some hearsay controversy about the silicon used by Red Sea.
I like the IM external systems. Not too worried about the sump since the sumps in all the other brands are pretty much rubbish anyway.
Thanks everyone for all the answers. And sorry to side track this thread.

Last edited:

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wont be until June. I need to decide on my frag system. I was going to go with a larger system but I just went back to the ext 50 as it is the only tank that will fit the corner of the room. I need to get it ordered before June as I want both wet with TBS base rock to start.
thats a long time. perfect though for more thoughts on what you want. I'm looking forward to getting more rock from them.

Captain45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EXT100. It’s less than a year old. The 3 holes for the drain measure the same as the OD of 1” PVC pipe. “Normal” bulkheads for 1” PVC are way too big and won’t work without drilling bigger holes. IM replied to my email yesterday and sent a pic of what they use.

image007.png

They obviously aren’t the usual type of bulkhead, and have been terribly difficult to source anywhere but IM and Fiji Cube. I found a set of 4 on Amazon for $20. Hopefully they’re correct and I won’t need to spend $10 plus tax and shipping each at IM.
@JayM any luck with the Bulkheads? Im in a similar boat. I'm redoing the return plumbing on my EXT100 cause the depth required for the return line+bulkheads put my tank too far out away from the wall. I want to redo them with Street 90 elbows and shave some inches off but I cant find new bulkheads to fit the drilled holes.

I measured with calipers and the return holes are slightly over 25mm or about 1". Every normal bulkhead on Bulkreef etc require over 31mm

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JayM any luck with the Bulkheads? Im in a similar boat. I'm redoing the return plumbing on my EXT100 cause the depth required for the return line+bulkheads put my tank too far out away from the wall. I want to redo them with Street 90 elbows and shave some inches off but I cant find new bulkheads to fit the drilled holes.

I measured with calipers and the return holes are slightly over 25mm or about 1". Every normal bulkhead on Bulkreef etc require over 31mm
Nope. I found some on Amazon that looked the the same, but they turned out to be metric. Looks like IM is the only place to easily get a hold of them. I think they told me they are about $10 each.

Captain45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. I found some on Amazon that looked the the same, but they turned out to be metric. Looks like IM is the only place to easily get a hold of them. I think they told me they are about $10 each.

Dang,

Im trying to find out what bulkheads Coronarex used on his 100 EXT build. They look really compact unlike the IM ones.

F328D469-F80A-4983-B48D-3C59366364C9.jpeg

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad when I bought my 100EXT they were using standard bulkhead sizes.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back