LPS feeding

Saltwatertaylor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a favia. Tonight, I noticed that the feeder tenticles were out. I feed my clownfish and chromis omega one marine flakes (with garlic). Is the food that I feed them enough for my LPS? I have CF lights. Is the LPS getting enough food from the light and the food together? If not what food do you recommend and how do you recommend feeding them?

Pappy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every once in a while I hit mine with some mysis and the gobble it up. The colors are great! Maybe 1-2 times a week.

OP
OP
S

Saltwatertaylor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks revsgirl for the bump ;). You are the master thread bumper lol.
Pappy- Is it necessary? I was thinking of feeding them phytoplankton? Have you ever used that?

illdoya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spot feed the LPS mysis with a turkey baster twice a week and add marine snow once a week. After I started spot feeding, new heads started budding all over lol

Idol how nessesary but it really helped them seem much healthier. Got cheap spot feeding turkey baster for $5

Last edited:

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spot feed the LPS mysis with a turkey baster twice a week and add marine snow once a week. After I started spot feeding, new heads started budding all over lol

Idol how nessesary but it really helped them seem much healthier. Got cheap spot feeding turkey baster for $5

I do the same thing. I had a 1.5" dia. frag of orange acan echinata that has probably grown by 4x since I started feeding it. Grows like a week now and is always hungry.

Pappy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks revsgirl for the bump ;). You are the master thread bumper lol.
Pappy- Is it necessary? I was thinking of feeding them phytoplankton? Have you ever used that?

I don't think it's necessary then again what is in this hobby? Lol my candy canes swell up like crazy so I know they like it! As far as phyto I don't have experience with it as I've been told it can lead to algae issues. Think phyto would be a great new thread though!

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cherry Corals sells fauna marin LPS coral food. That a lot of members swear by, for coral growth and color.

OP
OP
S

Saltwatertaylor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Ill either get the Cherry Corals product or go pick up some mysis today. I also have a frogspaun, and zoas. I think mysis would work well for all of those.

reefman88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it is proven that zoas do not eat the meaty foods, I think people say they might close over it but do not consume. Only palythoas and protopalythoas have been proven eat brine/mysis/cyclops/nauplii. As for frogspawn, I have never seen them eat anything. t=yes they have mouths and yes they have tentacles but I have never witnessed them eat anything, and trust me I have tried.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 23.4%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back