LPS Help, can't seem to keep them

Cary Meredith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I have a question, I have a 10+ year old tank, everything is testing good and doing regular water changes, every week (about 20%) 200 total system volume. I have softies (leathers, zoas and muchrooms) and doing great. I have tried LPS and SPS a couple of times without great luck. Mainly LPS is my concern, last fall bought a few acans and lost most all of them, I also tried a hammer, frog spawn and Duncan's. One of the Duncan's is thriving, the other is struggling, the hammer and frog spawn have faded. I just bought a couple of other LPS, a lobo, died overnight. A chalice, died overnight.

Thanks
Cary

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I have a question, I have a 10+ year old tank, everything is testing good and doing regular water changes, every week (about 20%) 200 total system volume. I have softies (leathers, zoas and muchrooms) and doing great. I have tried LPS and SPS a couple of times without great luck. Mainly LPS is my concern, last fall bought a few acans and lost most all of them, I also tried a hammer, frog spawn and Duncan's. One of the Duncan's is thriving, the other is struggling, the hammer and frog spawn have faded. I just bought a couple of other LPS, a lobo, died overnight. A chalice, died overnight.

Thanks
Cary
What lighting are you using? Virtually any lighting will be sufficient for soft corals. Lps and sps need stronger lighting. Lps not nearly as strong as sps but stronger than softies.

OP
OP
Cary Meredith

Cary Meredith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lighting are you using? Virtually any lighting will be sufficient for soft corals. Lps and sps need stronger lighting. Lps not nearly as strong as sps but stronger than softies.
Had been using 250 Halides, 3 on a 6 ft tank, just switched the middle to a Kessil as700 LED, but that was 2 weeks ago.

OP
OP
Cary Meredith

Cary Meredith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and should note that maybe 6-7 years ago I was keeping them, then had a short period of neglect (you don't need to know the reason) lost them and can't seem to get things back.

OP
OP
Cary Meredith

Cary Meredith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might actually be too high of lighting. Do you know PAR levels? Also, do you feed them? What flow do you have them in?

Yes feeding and no I don't know par levels, the LPS have been on
the sand and was thinking that for the acans. Very good random flow, 3 power heads alternating.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 68 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back