View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, my lps are rtning

Here are 2 reason why

- Tempreatre issue, heater stuck on.
- I'm also dosing polyp lab medic which I have now stopped

My tank went a little cloudy yesterday so I did a 30%water change.

1 coral had stn yesterday but today another one.

Water is clear today and I'm about to do another 30%

My hammer is stn on one head. Should I cut that head off, move to a qt tank. Dip?

I'm thinking dip and move to my nano

Any suggestions would be great
4260c97f6a6c225441becb4d4c1de158.jpg

OP
OP
scottrotton

scottrotton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here they are. They smelt dead and flesh was metmlting so removed and fagged. Their currently on my nano. I will update the post if th frags live or die
895e81c52951371f0335782236015218.jpg
fae35949b22ff276e72d939fe7db5e75.jpg

buddy.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using carbon at all? A bunch of my LPS did this a few years ago and I figured out it was a particular brand of carbon that I was running in a reactor.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would guess you identified correctly with that 32c temp spike. Corals in the wild are sometimes in water this warm but are not subjected to it so quickly. Takes days for the water to warm like that in the ocean.

Temperature effects not only photosynthesis but respiration as o2 levels are lower at higher temps.

I would try for the near future to keep the tank as stable as possible to give them a greater chance to heal.

And would recommend a temperature controller, heaters are by far the least reliable reef equipment.

OP
OP
scottrotton

scottrotton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using carbon at all? A bunch of my LPS did this a few years ago and I figured out it was a particular brand of carbon that I was running in a reactor.
No carbon at that time, i did run it after the RTN to remove the polyplab medic in the water column.

OP
OP
scottrotton

scottrotton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would guess you identified correctly with that 32c temp spike. Corals in the wild are sometimes in water this warm but are not subjected to it so quickly. Takes days for the water to warm like that in the ocean.

Temperature effects not only photosynthesis but respiration as o2 levels are lower at higher temps.

I would try for the near future to keep the tank as stable as possible to give them a greater chance to heal.

And would recommend a temperature controller, heaters are by far the least reliable reef equipment.

It was a pretty expensive temrteature controller, the problem was i knock the probe out of the sump so it was entirly my fault :(

for anyone else that stumbles on this thread i have stopped the RTN by

1, take coral out of display
2, revive dip
3, used a pipe cutter to clean cut the coral dead tissue along with 2cm of living tissue to make sure any infection didnt spread
4, I glue the fresh cut tissue with super glue to stop infection.
5, one last quick dip of revive before i put in my frag tank

so fall i lost a lot of growth but managed to keep all of the corals alive, even the badly damaged wall hammer, there quiet pale but now extending, hopefully the colour comes back in a couple of months

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sucks to hear. Sadly, there is a high likelihood that the entire wall hammer will not make it. Wall type LPS are significantly more sensitive to tissue necrosis as they are one large organism with multiple mouths. Any damage to it can ultimately kill the entire colony. I had this happen to my showpiece rainbow aussie wall hammer. I accidentally nicked it with the edge of my gravel cleaner tool and it got a 1/2 cut the flesh right at where it attaches to the skeleton. I did all the same things you did and nothing worked. It kept getting worse and worse and each time I treated it it seemed to perk up for a week or two. Then it would refuse to extend it's polyps and more would start to waste away or get nailed with brown jelly. I ended up cutting out all the exposed skeleton and has a few remaining small sections that all but one slowly wasted away. The last one held on for a good 4 months was looking good and I thought I had managed to save a little part of it. Nope... One day it was fully extended and looked very happy with brilliant coloring. The next day I come home from work and it's covered in brown jelly...

Since then I stick to the branching types, as if you lose a single head, just cut it off and the rest of the colony is left unharmed.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 4.8%
Back