LPS STN, need suggestions

skr791346

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a bit stumped on this issue and could really use some suggestions.

I have a LPS dominated 27g Nano that was doing really well for about two years. I kept it simple with a weekly 10 gallon water change and everything seemed stable and growing.

About a month ago, I started to slowly lose LPS pieces through tissue necrosis from the edges. They all show great feeding response with feeder tentacles out but slowly start showing skeletons, while the main polyp eventually getting smaller and smaller until it's gone.

Nothing major has changed and I can't figure out what could be causing it. It's affecting various different species (Scolymia, Acan, Lobo, Fungia, Alveopora, Dendro etc)

NO3: 10-15
PO4: 0.00 - 0.03
KH 7.8
Ca 470
Mg 1360
Tmp: 77.8 ~ 78.2
RODI TDS: 0

Any advice would be appreciated. I turned the skimmer off completely this week and began adding reef-roid every other day in case maybe it was because of lack of nutrients in the system.

Som1else

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try bumping your nutrients up a little.
Your po4 may need to be a little higher, in the .05-.08 range. Im sure someone may not agree with this but everything else looks good. I wonder if they are slowly starving.

Are you feeding them regularly?

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures would help! Hopefully you can solve this before anything dies. If they were starving from lack of nutrients your corals wouldn't first look pale and then slowly shrink

OP
OP
S

skr791346

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
y bumping your nutrients up a little.
Your po4 may need to be a little higher, in the .05-.08 range. Im sure someone may not agree with this but everything else looks good. I wonder if they are slowly starving.

I'll turn off my ferric oxide reactor tonight. I thought it was weird that I only had to change out ferric oxide once a month or sometimes even longer.

What kind of light are you using? Have you checked PAR?
I'm using Radion XR15 - Par generally ranges from 150 ~ 120 up top and 60 to 80 near the sandbed.

Pictures would help! Hopefully you can solve this before anything dies. If they were starving from lack of nutrients your corals wouldn't first look pale and then slowly shrink
Not getting pale at all, they retain their full coloration while shrinking until polyp is fully gone.

When was the last time you calibrated your refractometer?
This was my initial thought too - I'm using Hanna digital refractometer, calibrated before each testing and currently hovers around 1.025 - 1.026

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try raising the PAR slowly. Most of my LPS are in the 200-250 PAR range and seem to be very happy.

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like something is wrong with your water. Maybe biologically, did it seem to spread from coral to coral?? Corals can get infections as well, usually brought on by something weakening the coral fist. When I have an sps or lps coral and it gets stung stn can happen. If my water Chem stresses the coral out sometimes multiple corals will start to stn. The only way I stop some corals from going poof is treating the colony with antibiotics. Just a thought. Usually lack of light makes coral kinda translucent before it starts dying. If everything was growing and the lights didnt change and now something is wrongn I wouldn't think it's the lights unless they got weaker somehow.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back