LTA ok touching Sebae?

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At my lfs i saw a really nice colored blue tentacled LTA literally right against a blue tip sebae. The lta was much bigger than the sebae but their tentacles were both touching and not sticking to each other in the current.

These 2 nems are not listed in the stickied compatibility chart, but are they compatible?

If they are not compatible, how did they coexist without stinging each other?

I have a blue tipped small sebae and would love to pick up the lta if they really will be fine together.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an LTA(m.doreensis) and H.crispa(most likely what you have, there are 2 types of sebae, both very different from each other) and I had those 2 together in a tank for 5 and half years w/out issue.

However, at the very beginning they did bump heads so to speak, and I separated them and placed at each end of a 180g and there they stayed luckily.

There can be alleopathy (chem warfare)between nems, but it seems more likely when new or disturbed/bothered, but they can coexist, but I do keep them from touching each other.

OP
OP
Charles4400

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, yes looked up H.Crispa and thats defianely what I have.

Ill go back to the lfs and check it out again. The ones I saw were always touching but seemed fine. If they werent fine I assume one would shrink back?

Did your 2 nems show any signs of stress when they first touched before separating them?

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's mainly when they are disturbed that they may use defense mechanism's, it seems as they just grow bigger and touch a little it's usually not an issue, but it can be, so I do my best to avoid that.
Yes when I first intro'd those two to tank it did appear they were stressed upon touching.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back