Lubbock’s Wrasse Suddenly Lethargic

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. Thinking it may be too late given how he looks…

Doing water change this morning, had pumps and wavemakers off and noticed my Lubbock’s Wrasse hanging out around the top of the tank. A little later, he’s now sitting on top of one of the wavemakers and looks like he’s gasping for air. He’s upright now, was on his side before.

Haven’t noticed any issues at all recently, water parameters good. He’s been eating, looked kinda fat the other day. He even ate a couple of pellets just now.

Any thoughts?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi everyone. Thinking it may be too late given how he looks…

Doing water change this morning, had pumps and wavemakers off and noticed my Lubbock’s Wrasse hanging out around the top of the tank. A little later, he’s now sitting on top of one of the wavemakers and looks like he’s gasping for air. He’s upright now, was on his side before.

Haven’t noticed any issues at all recently, water parameters good. He’s been eating, looked kinda fat the other day. He even ate a couple of pellets just now.

Any thoughts?
A video or a couple of pics under white lighting would help with assessment but it appears from your description the fish is very weak and if it was found on the powerhead, may be moribund and too weak to eat or swim normal often not ending well

OP
OP
J

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a couple pics

IMG_1767.jpeg IMG_1766.jpeg

OP
OP
J

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if he ingested some F-Aiptasia that I just put on a Aiptasia. Could that cause something like this? He’s looking a little better now, moving around a bit.

OP
OP
J

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, apparently a false alarm. He looks completely normal again. Wondering if he did ingest something while I was cleaning - F-Aiptasia, salt residue or something. Will keep an eye on him nonetheless.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, apparently a false alarm. He looks completely normal again. Wondering if he did ingest something while I was cleaning - F-Aiptasia, salt residue or something. Will keep an eye on him nonetheless.

Has the fish's breathing slowed down a lot now? In the video, it was just about at the point of respiratory collapse!

F-Aiptasia doesn't list their ingredients, and no MSDS is available, so tough to say if that was the cause or not.

Jay

OP
OP
J

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the breathing had calmed down as of a couple of hours ago. Normal swimming around the water column and competing with the other fish at feeding time and eating ok.

Bizarre to say the least.

OP
OP
J

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a few videos from today. Swimming around, but also hanging around the top of the tank. Breathing looks a little labored in the close up video.

Attachments

• IMG_1771.mov
    14 MB
  • IMG_1772.mov
    32.8 MB
  • IMG_1773.mov
    24.5 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a few videos from today. Swimming around, but also hanging around the top of the tank. Breathing looks a little labored in the close up video.

The breathing rate does not look substantially reduced from the first video.

Is it eating today?

Jay

OP
OP
J

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - just ate frozen with the other fish a few min ago. Yesterday, when it started, he was just laying on top of the wavemaker, sometimes tilting sideways a bit. Then later in the day seemed fine.

Today, he’s swimming around and eating, but looking a little lethargic - but upright.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - just ate frozen with the other fish a few min ago. Yesterday, when it started, he was just laying on top of the wavemaker, sometimes tilting sideways a bit. Then later in the day seemed fine.

Today, he’s swimming around and eating, but looking a little lethargic - but upright.

O.K., I don't see anything really treatable here.....

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 105 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back