LukeyB's Cade Reef S2 600 - Mixed Reef

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! I've seen people remove the 3 media baskets and just convert that area as a fuge and it seems to work well too. Where have you moved your heaters too?

Last edited:
OP
OP
LukeyB

LukeyB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! I've seen people remove the 3 media baskets and just convert that area as a fuge and it seems to work well too. Where have you moved your heaters too?

Thanks mate. I've moved the heaters into the rear overflow section. They seem to fit in quite well there and will always remain submerged even during water changes. Yea I did think about using the media basket section as a refugium, but I wanted something a bit larger for the Chaeto, and I'll be using the media baskets for live rock rubbles (makes it easy to take out the baskets and shake out any built up detritus during water changes).

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks mate. I've moved the heaters into the rear overflow section. They seem to fit in quite well there and will always remain submerged even during water changes. Yea I did think about using the media basket section as a refugium, but I wanted something a bit larger for the Chaeto, and I'll be using the media baskets for live rock rubbles (makes it easy to take out the baskets and shake out any built up detritus during water changes).
Fair call. I used to have my heaters in the overflow also but my temp was fluctuating too much so I moved them back to sump. But I've since bought a thermo control and my temp is now a very stable 25, so I might look at moving them back to the overflow and see if the temp still remains stable as I need more room in my sump for other things ;)

OP
OP
LukeyB

LukeyB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair call. I used to have my heaters in the overflow also but my temp was fluctuating too much so I moved them back to sump. But I've since bought a thermo control and my temp is now a very stable 25, so I might look at moving them back to the overflow and see if the temp still remains stable as I need more room in my sump for other things ;)
Suggest looking up the 'Inkbird Wired ITC-306A' temperateure controller. It's not too expensive and seems to hold the temperatures quite steady. Also has wi-fi and an app, so you can monitor temps from your phone and you get alerts if it goes outside of whatever range you set.

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggest looking up the 'Inkbird Wired ITC-306A' temperateure controller. It's not too expensive and seems to hold the temperatures quite steady. Also has wi-fi and an app, so you can monitor temps from your phone and you get alerts if it goes outside of whatever range you set.
I have the reef factory thermo control which is basically the same thing, but I never had it when the heaters were in the overflow. As it’s keeping my temp on point now I’m hoping it’ll stay the same when I move them back.

OP
OP
LukeyB

LukeyB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 3D printed shades for the XR30's just arrived. They really work well to cut down the light spill. Also, I've now got the little bracket for attaching the Blade LED to the Ecotech Rail.

20230712_114813.jpg

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's starting to come together quite nicely, what size rail did you use for the radions? I have a second xr15 thats been sitting in a box for months and I'm thinking of adding it.

OP
OP
LukeyB

LukeyB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's starting to come together quite nicely, what size rail did you use for the radions? I have a second xr15 thats been sitting in a box for months and I'm thinking of adding it.

Thanks mate. The Ecotech rail I used is 20.5in (52cm). Fits nicely. I'd definitely recomend you get that second XR15 mounted. You can spread them out on a rail and it'll really help cut down any shadowing you're currently getting.

Next up for me is I'm getting a black acrylic hood/visor made to go all around the rim of the tank, to further reduce the light spill into the room. My wife is still complaining it's too bright, even with the shades on the radions, haha. Also, first fish will be going in next week, so that'll be exciting not to just be looking at rocks anymore.

Last edited:

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I originally bought the second light for my future 900 upgrade, but I'm not sure if I'll do the side mounting of the brackets. I like the clean open look up top where the brackets are overhanging from the back to give unrestricted access to the tank.
I might add the second one to the back on the weekend and see how it looks lol.

OP
OP
LukeyB

LukeyB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of updates whilst I'm still waiting for the cycle to complete...

1) Added a very shallow sandbed

2) My custom made acrylic parts arrived. These sit just inside the rim of the aquarium on the same clips as I use to support the lid. They completely stop any light spill into the room. Happy wife happy life

20230721_152052.jpg

20230721_152646.jpg

wickedxreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is coming along nicely. I just ordered the same tank and will be doing a build thread soon. I'm trying to figure out a way to get a reefmat500, protein skimmer and macro reactor all the fit into the stand area.

OP
OP
LukeyB

LukeyB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey mate where did you get the light shades from?

Hey mate. I ordered from a couple of different places, but these ones were by far the best in terms of quality...

OP
OP
LukeyB

LukeyB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First living things are now in the aquarium. Some zoa frags and a ball of chaeto in the refugium. Hooray! Also, a pair of awesome looking clownfish are due to arrive tomorrow.

20230725_151814.jpg

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey mate. I ordered from a couple of different places, but these ones were by far the best in terms of quality...
Thanks man just put in an order

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First living things are now in the aquarium. Some zoa frags and a ball of chaeto in the refugium. Hooray! Also, a pair of awesome looking clownfish are due to arrive tomorrow.

20230725_151814.jpg

Nice looking frags! Best of luck with the clowns!

OP
OP
LukeyB

LukeyB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some photos testing out my new orange & yellow filters for the camera....

20230805_120406.jpg

Mint tip gold stem torch
20230805_123231.jpg

Red and green Goniopora
20230805_120559.jpg

Alveopora
20230805_123247.jpg

Orange and toxic green Hammers
20230805_123200.jpg

Bright red/pink goniopora
20230805_123225.jpg

Green stem Hammer
20230805_123329.jpg

OP
OP
LukeyB

LukeyB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a little video tour of the aquarium. Recent additions are a nice Hulk Torch and some more snails. Rocks have turned green but snails are keeping it in check so far. There are heaps of copepods in the tank as well.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back