LukeyB's Cade Reef S2 600 - Mixed Reef

LukeyB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting back into reefing after taking a complete break from the hobby for several years. This time I want something a bit smaller and easier to manage. I've only got a small space available in the living room so that has somewhat constrained my tank choices anyway!

Afer doing a lot of research on all the different possible tanks, I had narrowed it down to a Red Sea 170, a Waterbox Marine X 60.2 or a Cade S2 600. In the end I decided to go with the Cade, mostly due to the superior build quality and I like the fact that the display tank is an exact 60x60x60 cube without any instrusion from an overflow box at the back.

Pictures to follow as I set everything up, but so far this is the kit list...

Tank: CADE Pro Reef 600 S2
Sump: CADE sump included
Stand: CADE Aluminium/ glass stand (white)
Lights: 2 x Ecotech Radion XR30 Gen5
Wavemaker: 2 x Ecotech Vortec MP40
Return Pump: Ecotech Vectra S2 with Ecotech Battery backup
Skimmer: Mantis Tornado 150
Heating: 2 x Eheim Jager 200w with Inkbird Controller
ATO: Built-in gravity ATO
Rock: 20kg of Live rock obtained from a local tank shut-down. It was cheap but full of aiptasia. Currently doing a 7-day bleach cure!
Substrate: Bare Bottom

f94a2a_fc3e8f3c95774dd2ae0ae1de5c597daa~mv2.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
LukeyB

LukeyB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big day today....

1) Collected the tank and cabinet. Very happy with it in general, the glass and silicone precision is unreal. The only problem was the hinges on the side doors. Both top hinges were bent/broken. Hopefully they can just send me some replacement hinges and they would be an easy swap over.

2) Unboxed and moved it into position. Was a bit of a struggle with just my wife to help but we got there eventually.

3) Replaced the standard plastic feet with some anti-vibration rubber pads. These will spread the load a bit more, protect the wooden floors, and also dampen the vibrations from our psychotic washing machine.

4) Connected up all the plumbing. This was all pretty straightforward although I've not done a wet test yet.

5) Decided to remove the little metal shelf in the cabinet. I'm going to DIY a lid to the sump which will also be a shelf. The stock metal shelf was quite small and also a bit in the way.

Next up will be the lights, skimmer and return pump etc, but still waiting for some of those to arrive in the post.
20230624_165638.jpg

20230624_165819.jpg

boogie79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How long did it take you to plumb it? I'm looking at getting a Cade aquarium down the line. Really intrigued by their tanks and cabinets.

OP
OP
LukeyB

LukeyB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did it take you to plumb it? I'm looking at getting a Cade aquarium down the line. Really intrigued by their tanks and cabinets.

The plumbing took me about 1-2 hours. It was all pretty straightforward. The online 'tuturial video' didn't help much though, in the end I just figured it all out by looking at a few photos from other people's tanks!

The tricky part was yesterday when I tried to connect up the return pump. The Ecotech Vectra S2 has imperial sized plumbing and the cade has metric size plumbing. The soft pipe that came with the cade didn't fit any of the Vectra parts at all. I had to go down to my hardware store and play around with various bits of poly pipe, barbs, joiners and clamps etc, until I eventually found a way to get it all securely connected!

boogie79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The tricky part was yesterday when I tried to connect up the return pump. The Ecotech Vectra S2 has imperial sized plumbing and the cade has metric size plumbing. The soft pipe that came with the cade didn't fit any of the Vectra parts at all. I had to go down to my hardware store and play around with various bits of poly pipe, barbs, joiners and clamps etc, until I eventually found a way to get it all securely connected!
that's the part that has given me pause. I've never plumbed anything and I keep hearing about how hard it is to find parts that fit due to the metric size plumbing. LFS told me to get a Red Sea tank because it would be easier.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big day today....

1) Collected the tank and cabinet. Very happy with it in general, the glass and silicone precision is unreal. The only problem was the hinges on the side doors. Both top hinges were bent/broken. Hopefully they can just send me some replacement hinges and they would be an easy swap over.

2) Unboxed and moved it into position. Was a bit of a struggle with just my wife to help but we got there eventually.

3) Replaced the standard plastic feet with some anti-vibration rubber pads. These will spread the load a bit more, protect the wooden floors, and also dampen the vibrations from our psychotic washing machine.

4) Connected up all the plumbing. This was all pretty straightforward although I've not done a wet test yet.

5) Decided to remove the little metal shelf in the cabinet. I'm going to DIY a lid to the sump which will also be a shelf. The stock metal shelf was quite small and also a bit in the way.

Next up will be the lights, skimmer and return pump etc, but still waiting for some of those to arrive in the post.
20230624_165638.jpg

20230624_165819.jpg
Love the stand for your tank!

OP
OP
LukeyB

LukeyB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few updates...

1) Got the ecotech rail and Radions mounted. Also found a little place inbetween them to mount the blade.

2) cables everywhere... This will need epic amount of cable management!

3) picture of the solution I found for the return pump. A 19mm poly tube fits onto the Vectra and a 25mm poly tube fits into the cade return pipe. Then joined the two pipes with some clamps. Hopefully it works!

20230628_170700~2.jpg
20230628_170824.jpg
20230628_170936.jpg

OP
OP
LukeyB

LukeyB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquascape slowly coming together! I'm using a combination of epoxy putty and Stone Fix mortar. The blue lines represent 5cm in from glass. The cardboard at the back is 40cm high (tank is 60cm) so ensuring I leave enough height for SPS to grow.

20230630_010607.jpg

OP
OP
LukeyB

LukeyB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two rock towers are now complete, including covering all the visible joints with glue/sand. Also now starting to work on mounting the various controllers and power bricks into the side section of the cabinet. Really enjoying this stage of the build

20230701_170602.jpg
20230701_171022.jpg
20230701_171039.jpg

OP
OP
LukeyB

LukeyB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help me decide on the aquascape!

Not sure if I should go with both islands or just a single island?

Both islands - more rock filtration and more places to put corals. However, I'm starting to think it maybe looks a bit too cluttered and busy? Will there be enough room for corals to 'grow out'?

Single island - more minimal aquascape with more negative space. Less rock for filtration purposes. Lots of space for SPS to grow out in all directions.

Note the aquarium will be in my living room and fully visible from all three sides.

Last edited:

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there can’t see the videos. You can post on YT and post here. Based on the pictures above I like the second one.

Also I would swap the metal hose clamps for plastic ones. That said build is coming along nicely.

OP
OP
LukeyB

LukeyB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big day... The tank is wet!! All equipment is working as expected and plumbing is all OK too.

I also pulled out my aquascape and spent the whole afternoon changing it again, haha! I got rid of the second island and created a larger single island. I think in a cube like this, it looks better to have a single piece of rock work as the focal point, and then with plenty of space all around it. I'm really happy with this version of the aquascape now.

Next up will be a 10-14 day cycle with bacteria dosing. Also some more cable management and getting the skimmer setup.

20230703_210922.jpg

OP
OP
LukeyB

LukeyB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update today... finished off the tank and sump lids. Both are made from 8mm clear polycarbonate. The tank lid has a 10mm gap all around the edge to allow for some ventilation, and also the cut outs for the rail mount. Hopefully it will still reduce evaporation a bit and keep the heat in. We live in a very cool climate so I'm not worried about it over heating, just the electricity bill to keep it at all 25°c when the room at night is dropping down to <10°c.

20230705_152506.jpg
20230705_152712.jpg

OP
OP
LukeyB

LukeyB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished off the cable management today. Tamed the beast!

Also decided I'm going to modify the sump slightly so I can have a little chaeto section. Have ordered some black acrylic to make a divider and a cheap refugium light off ebay.

20230706_150204.jpg

OP
OP
LukeyB

LukeyB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the sump refugium modification done today. Harder than anticipated as had to fully drain the sump first and then was super awkward doing all the siliconing in the tight space. Need to wait for the silicone to dry before I can test it, but I'm happy with how it has turned out.

The baffle where the water exits the refugium will also have some filter floss stuffed into it. It will help to stop any chaeto from escaping and also a bit more polishing of the water.

20230710_200323~2.jpg
20230710_200249~2.jpg

20230710_202940.jpg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 123 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back