LunarLite LED tubes by IceCap

Jeremy R.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone heard anything about IceCaps new LunarLite Blue LED Retro lights? Looks promising. May have to give the 48" a try. I wonder how they would compare to the popular powerbrites
ll-5901.jpg

retro.jpg

LunarLite - Blue LED Retrofit|IceCap Information Center

fatcasey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check out Welcome to Ecoxotic
new LED strips, got 3 the other day, pretty much replaced 2x48 t5s with 3x6watt LED strips

better priced then powerbrites and ALOT better spread

MikeB

R2R Web Admin & Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen the led tubes in the new IceCap fixtures. The LEDs do not give coral pop at all sad to say. Not even close to what powerbrights do

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeremy, I'm with you on this one. I want to compare the two. I just got my powerbrites in yesterday, now I need a power supply for them. I would like to have one of these ice cap units next week to play with as well

twinspots_goby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can't wait any longer and just ordered 4 48" tubes. I should get them by tomorrow. I will post some updates tomorrow then.

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen the led tubes in the new IceCap fixtures. The LEDs do not give coral pop at all sad to say. Not even close to what powerbrights do

interesting feedback...

do you think the other lights in the fixture were overpowering them? was the fixture t5 or halides?

thanks,
ben

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have powerbrites yet, but figure one of these days I would like to pick them up.

Hopefully someone comes up with one that is in a stand-alone sleek designed package that will look right on or next to our current light setups.

I'd like to see these icecaps in person too.

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have seen the IceCap fixtures with the LED in them. The LEDs were over powered by the other lights. But when the LEDs were on alone the greens and yellows did floures more. But not nearly what the PB's do. Still waiting for my Retro tub.

Driving out tomorrow to Kee's to see the Stunners and Panaramas in action.

Might just F it all and get the AI fixture!

fatcasey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya, i just put some stunners on my tank, really happy with them. I have 3 on a 150, i'm thinkin i may get 2 more and that would be all my supplement

OP
OP
Jeremy R.

Jeremy R.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far the feedback doesn't seem too good for the IceCap LEDs. Maybe I will hold off and get some powerbrites.

roshi719 let me know what you think of the Powerbrites when you get them installed. They may just be another reason to come visit.:wink:

MikeB

R2R Web Admin & Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting feedback...

do you think the other lights in the fixture were overpowering them? was the fixture t5 or halides?

thanks,
ben

I was at WWC and tested it. We only had the LED's on and I did not see any pop on the Corals.

OP
OP
Jeremy R.

Jeremy R.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what type of LED are in the Powerbrite fixtures? Cree? I am wondering if is the LED alone that makes the difference of the reflector surrounding the LED.

twinspots_goby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far the feedback doesn't seem too good for the IceCap LEDs. Maybe I will hold off and get some powerbrites.

roshi719 let me know what you think of the Powerbrites when you get them installed. They may just be another reason to come visit.:wink:

I saw Benny_Z's powerbrite setup. PowerBrite bars surely brings all the amazing colors for his corals, but has very narrow coverage. That's why he doesn't use it except for taking photos. Different LEDs serve for different purposes. I prefer LEDs as moon lights and need more light coverage.

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what type of LED are in the Powerbrite fixtures? Cree? I am wondering if is the LED alone that makes the difference of the reflector surrounding the LED.

It is the bulb, not the reflector that makes the difference.

evilc66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and no. A poor LED can increase it's performance with a good lens/reflector. In the Powerbrite's case, it's a good LED configured poorly. The Powerbrites use either Edison Opto or SSC LEDs. I can't remember which right now. Both are great performing LEDs, but they are driven at low current, and have too tight of an optic to be used effectively. Even a crap LED can be used effectively as a supplimental light like this is it's used properly.

dcook

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How and what is needed to improve pb's or is it cost effective???
Help me mr. evilc66

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.6%
Back