OP
Luucky13

Luucky13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now for the plumbing phase. It was set up for a much larger sump, which I decided not to use, because it took up the entire footprint of the stand. It was also only three sections, so there was no room for a refugium. So I found a deal on a nice used Eshopps RS-200 sump. This gave me a refugium and a lot more space under the stand. Here's how the plumbing came together.

kY3moOy.jpg

fz1yom0.jpg

623wxou.jpg

With a little help from my friends:

bisuEZf.jpg

3uc9haz.jpg

YzbeNFh.jpg

OP
OP
Luucky13

Luucky13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same sump and really like it. Hope you do as well. Plumbing looks good.

The only issue I found during my water test was that I think I have too much water going through it. No matter what I did, I could not get the sump water level to stop riding high. It was about 1-2 inches above where it should be, even with the skimmer section level adjuster removed. Luckily I have a DC return pump, so I can slow it down next time I fill it and see if that is the culprit.

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What bulb combination are you going to run, I am going to be using a 8 bulb t5 for the first time soon and not sure what to run. I have always run LED and really want to try out t5

OP
OP
Luucky13

Luucky13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now its as follows - Left to Right:

ATI Purple Plus
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aqua Blue Special
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aqua Blue Special
ATI Actinic
ATI Blue Plus

This is just what it had in it when I bought it. Kind of looks like a more blue full spectrum look. Although I don't mind it, I may replace some bulbs with more Blue Plus, as I think Blue Plus is an awesome spectrum bulb on it's own for both growth and color.

I will also be getting two 48" Blue Reefbrite strips to add onto the fixture.

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking I will go with 4 blue plus, 2 purple plus and 2 actinic to start out with on the 60 gallon shallow reef I am setting up right now

OP
OP
Luucky13

Luucky13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking I will go with 4 blue plus, 2 purple plus and 2 actinic to start out with on the 60 gallon shallow reef I am setting up right now

I had almost that same color combo, and the colors definitely get a little washed. I find that the actinic bulbs just don't have the same pop as the blue plus. The last fixture I had with 3 metal halides and 4 T5, I at first had all actinic. When I switched over to Blue Plus it was a world of color difference. Really brings out the florescence in the corals. On my frag tank I ran all Blue Plus (8 bulb fixture) and the results were awesome.

OP
OP
Luucky13

Luucky13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think about 3 purple plus and 5 blue plus?

Could be ok. I personally don't care too much for the look of the purple bulbs. That's why I really like the Blue Plus. I think I will probably go with all Blue Plus and 2 AquaBlue Special to get more white spectrum in there.

OP
OP
Luucky13

Luucky13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, now we are live. Here is the last fews days project. The electrical cabinet/display, under stand lighting and a check valve added to the return line:

The wife helping me prime it with a coat of Kilz (Because I hate painting...)

GH4nw5W.jpg

Clamped, glued and drying

WmvRNGw.jpg

Painted and started

W7GfoRj.jpg

P8xPdZS.jpg

BcNfuKR.jpg

Done and installed in the stand. I also added a couple of LED lights for cabinet lighting under the stand.

eoQAn6A.jpg

View from the right side of the stand

lOSt03L.jpg

Check valve on return line

wCupET0.jpg

OP
OP
Luucky13

Luucky13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good, what lighting did you use inside your cabinet?

Honestly, I have no idea what they are. I bought them for my last setup at Home Depot about 10 years ago. They are still kicking though! Just a couple of LED strip lights that were meant for under cabinet lighting.

Today i'm going to work on getting the ATO reservoir plumbed into my mixing station in the basement for hands free reservoir top ups, and get the Tunze ATO in place. I'm also starting to mix up saltwater and hopefully get it wet tomorrow.

OP
OP
Luucky13

Luucky13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of updates! Had a busy weekend.

Figured i'd post my water change setup. It's run through the house right up to the tank. So I can just flick a switch on my powerbar and fill my ATO with water when it's low. I can also screw a hose on to it to fill the tank, or do water changes.

Water change setup in basement (2 X 44 gallon Brutes and a Mag 24 pump)

ArrkvNT.jpg

You can see the pipe running from the wall into the ATO container:

D3xjYDZ.jpg

Filling the ATO resevoir at the flick of a switch (also.... super mad that I ran out of clear pipe cement..... so I had to use grey cement which I absolutely hate. Going to have to figure out a way to paint these because they bother me.)

3cxJpCq.jpg

Sand in

BCYMFRZ.jpg

Getting wet!

VlLDY6a.jpg

And now we have a murky yet filled and salty tank!

IJxMWzu.jpg

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very clean sump! I always have to admire the people who take the extra time to organize and clean their fish rooms..

OP
OP
Luucky13

Luucky13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current FTS - Haven't decided on the rock work yet. I think i'm going to move it forward and put it more in the middle of the tank instead of leaning against the back wall.

ZUolkJ1.jpg

I cooked the live rock that I got with this tank for a good 6 months before adding it to the tank. And I couldn't believe that a couple of hitchhikers were still alive! There is one trochus snail, and what I think is a green bubble tip anemone. He's mighty white, but still alive and has already moved around the rock work. I also have a sand dollar that made it through. I fed him some shrimp today.

2WwJQoJ.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 76.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back