Lymph on anthia

gd1985

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else think this is lymph on this anthia? I've got 5 from lfs & realised they've caught this one.

My tank was wiped out with Ich when 1st set up so a bit paranoid
20211216_143947.jpg
20211216_144049.jpg
20211216_144003.jpg
20211216_144034.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as I read the fish disease forum, those should go into qt first and if you put them into the display, the whole tank is infected and needs to be refallowed

read the fish disease forum stickies let me know if that's far off the mark

the bag looks to be acclimatizing in a display with reef rocks is why I mentioned the option

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else think this is lymph on this anthia? I've got 5 from lfs & realised they've caught this one.

My tank was wiped out with Ich when 1st set up so a bit paranoid
20211216_143947.jpg
20211216_144049.jpg
20211216_144003.jpg
20211216_144034.jpg
Seems too large to be ich, but some of the spots aren’t lymphocystis either. Some look like mucus, and that is a reaction to an injury, disease or some issue with the water. It would be a good idea to give these fish a comprehensive quaratine.
The LFS sold you the fish looking like this? You need to let them know. I make it a policy never to buy fish from a LFS system that has symptomatic fish in it.
Jay

OP
OP
G

gd1985

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems too large to be ich, but some of the spots aren’t lymphocystis either. Some look like mucus, and that is a reaction to an injury, disease or some issue with the water. It would be a good idea to give these fish a comprehensive quaratine.
The LFS sold you the fish looking like this? You need to let them know. I make it a policy never to buy fish from a LFS system that has symptomatic fish in it.
Jay
I didn't see the fish in that state at the store. All anthias kept in the large coral systems so it took a good while catching them.

I should've inspected all the bags before taking them.

I wasn't going to qt anthias due to copper sensitivity. I've lost wrasse in qt before & read these are similar.

My qt isn't set up so debating what to do here

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what to do:

do quarantine, you've already lost fish once by skipping it so learn to master it

the fish disease forum has ways to set up exceptional qt efforts vs bare ones that are more harmful, and you don't have to medicate you can use it as observation. after the first loss to ich, specifically we wouldn't buy untreated pet store fish and add them even if they looked asymptomatic

not ever owning anything above a set of clownfish would also be permitted, nano-reef.com largely doesnt do qt preps and a nano with some clowns tends to do ok.

these higher sensitivity fish/deepwater fish need commitment. I don't own fish, I read this in the fish disease forum and try and find repeating patterns of need to bring back home to our cycling threads.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't see the fish in that state at the store. All anthias kept in the large coral systems so it took a good while catching them.

I should've inspected all the bags before taking them.

I wasn't going to qt anthias due to copper sensitivity. I've lost wrasse in qt before & read these are similar.

My qt isn't set up so debating what to do here
Anthias are fine with a properly run coppersafe quarantine - full dose measured with a good test kit for 30 days. They should also get dosed with prazipro for flukes after that.
Jay

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 45 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.2%
Back