Are these dots normal on anemone?

iwnltom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just received This anemone from fragbox, and I’m over paranoid and was told to inspect it before hand, these white dots are normal right ? And not a sign of inch even though anemones can’t get ich? I’m just extremely paranoid cuz I’ve spent too much money on my fish for them to catch smth lol

image.jpg

OP
OP
iwnltom

iwnltom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are called verracue and based on their appearance I’d say that’s a macrodactyla doreensis (long tentacle anemone). It’s a normal part of its anatomy.
Perfect thank you! And yes exactly right ! I love this forum, surrounded by people who just know so much like I just learn scrolling through random posts

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And not a sign of inch even though anemones can’t get ich?
Anemones can’t get ich (or other fish diseases/parasites) - they (and anything else “wet” like liverock live sand, coral, macroalgae, etc.) can technically carry ich into a tank, but the odds of them doing so are incredibly slim (you basically have to win the bad-luck lottery).

I only know of two cases of something that wasn’t a fish bringing in disease (and the vast majority of reefers don’t QT anything other than fish - if they even QT those - so if it was common, I’d definitely know about more cases), so I really wouldn’t worry about disease risk from the anemone at this point.

For anyone curious about the two cases:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 28 18.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 101 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.3%
Back