Worth it to QT inverts?

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a FOWLR tank and was thinking to boost the clean up crew. Does it make sense to QT inverts? Or is that unnecessary?

Ditto does it make sense to QT live rock?

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to decide on the level of risk that is acceptable to you. Fish disease can come in on inverts and rock.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely it is worth it, and quarantining CUC is super easy since the only medication involved is time. Inverts from an infected tank can bring in all manner of diseases like ich, velvet, flukes, etc. Ich encrusted onto a snail shell can hatch and infect the fish weeks after you've introduced the snail to the tank.

Biochembob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely it is worth it, and quarantining CUC is super easy since the only medication involved is time. Inverts from an infected tank can bring in all manner of diseases like ich, velvet, flukes, etc. Ich encrusted onto a snail shell can hatch and infect the fish weeks after you've introduced the snail to the tank.
Been there done that. Had a toadstool leather that brought in Ich and Oenone fulgida (the devils snot rockets apparently don't die from dipping). I almost wanted to quit for awhile but thankfully I reset with an upgraded tank after fallowing my tank and QTing my fish. I now have a rack with separate ten gallon QT tanks for inverts, fish, and coral. I'm never taking chances again.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 193 71.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back