Worth it to QT inverts?

  • Thread starter Thread starter PotatoPig
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

PotatoPig

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 7, 2023
Messages
1,474
Reaction score
1,476
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a FOWLR tank and was thinking to boost the clean up crew. Does it make sense to QT inverts? Or is that unnecessary?

Ditto does it make sense to QT live rock?
 
You have to decide on the level of risk that is acceptable to you. Fish disease can come in on inverts and rock.
 
Absolutely it is worth it, and quarantining CUC is super easy since the only medication involved is time. Inverts from an infected tank can bring in all manner of diseases like ich, velvet, flukes, etc. Ich encrusted onto a snail shell can hatch and infect the fish weeks after you've introduced the snail to the tank.
 
Absolutely it is worth it, and quarantining CUC is super easy since the only medication involved is time. Inverts from an infected tank can bring in all manner of diseases like ich, velvet, flukes, etc. Ich encrusted onto a snail shell can hatch and infect the fish weeks after you've introduced the snail to the tank.
Been there done that. Had a toadstool leather that brought in Ich and Oenone fulgida (the devils snot rockets apparently don't die from dipping). I almost wanted to quit for awhile but thankfully I reset with an upgraded tank after fallowing my tank and QTing my fish. I now have a rack with separate ten gallon QT tanks for inverts, fish, and coral. I'm never taking chances again.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new