Are these dots normal on anemone?

iwnltom

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 25, 2023
Messages
168
Reaction score
84
Location
Old port Montreal
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just received This anemone from fragbox, and I’m over paranoid and was told to inspect it before hand, these white dots are normal right ? And not a sign of inch even though anemones can’t get ich? I’m just extremely paranoid cuz I’ve spent too much money on my fish for them to catch smth lol

image.jpg
 
Depends on the kind of anemone, but probably just its coloring
 
They are called verracue and based on their appearance I’d say that’s a macrodactyla doreensis (long tentacle anemone). It’s a normal part of its anatomy.
Perfect thank you! And yes exactly right ! I love this forum, surrounded by people who just know so much like I just learn scrolling through random posts
 
And not a sign of inch even though anemones can’t get ich?
Anemones can’t get ich (or other fish diseases/parasites) - they (and anything else “wet” like liverock live sand, coral, macroalgae, etc.) can technically carry ich into a tank, but the odds of them doing so are incredibly slim (you basically have to win the bad-luck lottery).

I only know of two cases of something that wasn’t a fish bringing in disease (and the vast majority of reefers don’t QT anything other than fish - if they even QT those - so if it was common, I’d definitely know about more cases), so I really wouldn’t worry about disease risk from the anemone at this point.

For anyone curious about the two cases:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/worth-it-to-qt-inverts.987228/#post-11524692https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/keeping-cuc-alive-in-quarantine.977868/
 
In my opinion the most beautiful part of this anemone, especially as it gets older and when it is happy.
Enjoy.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new