Lymphocystis or something else ?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed this little white, roundish bump on my banggai cardinal’s lower lip 2-3 days ago. I see no other bumps on his body.

I’ve read sometimes banggai cardinals hurt their mouth on the rocks and a lesion then develops. Someone (forgot where) said they often had that issue with their cardinals.

Or is this lymphocystis ?

I feel my water quality is good, but I guess I might be missing something. 2 (pre-quarantined) fish have been added in the last 5 weeks but no fish in the tank is showing any similar lesion/bump.

1670530619624.jpeg

1670530644900.jpeg

1670530676180.jpeg

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lympho is more commonly seen on the fins - looks more like an injury either from scraping its mouth or fighting. Keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn’t become infected.
How would I know it’s becoming infected ? It would be getting bigger, changing color, other ?

Also, we have no meds available here in Canada. Is there something that we have in the home that I could use to treat if it gets infected ?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agree - injury. Watch for any signs of worsening/infection.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Signs of infection would be change in behavior/appetite, redness, or puffiness/fuzziness near the site.
Good antibiotics to have on hand would be meds containing kanamycin or erythromycin. Hydrogen peroxide can sometimes be used.
Number one preventative is maintaining clean water, feeding good foods, and avoiding stress.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I noticed this little white, roundish bump on my banggai cardinal’s lower lip 2-3 days ago. I see no other bumps on his body.

I’ve read sometimes banggai cardinals hurt their mouth on the rocks and a lesion then develops. Someone (forgot where) said they often had that issue with their cardinals.

Or is this lymphocystis ?

I feel my water quality is good, but I guess I might be missing something. 2 (pre-quarantined) fish have been added in the last 5 weeks but no fish in the tank is showing any similar lesion/bump.

1670530619624.jpeg

1670530644900.jpeg

1670530676180.jpeg
This likely injury can retract and heal but if ot goes the other direction, have a quarantine ready along with broad spectrum treatment such as Seachem Neoplex which treats external issues.
Is it eating and breathing normally ?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How would I know it’s becoming infected ? It would be getting bigger, changing color, other ?

Also, we have no meds available here in Canada. Is there something that we have in the home that I could use to treat if it gets infected ?
If you're in Canada, you can call a veterinarian - and they should give you a prescription - for a broad spectrum antibiotic

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you're in Canada, you can call a veterinarian - and they should give you a prescription - for a broad spectrum antibiotic
Note - there is an oral form of kanamycin - Erythromycin is likely cheaper.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This likely injury can retract and heal but if ot goes the other direction, have a quarantine ready along with broad spectrum treatment such as Seachem Neoplex which treats external issues.
Is it eating and breathing normally ?
Yes, it’s eating well and breathing normally. I will not be able to get any medication as I am in Canada. All I have is General cure, something for ick and Melafix.
I wish it were that simple. I tried a while ago for a different fish and could only find one place in the whole province to treat a fish and they wanted me to bring the fish to them (3 hour drive). Then they charge you something like 100$ for consultation + meds. With gas it would cost me close to 200$.

In Canada we don’t treat fish. We let them die a horrible death. :-(

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, it’s eating well and breathing normally. I will not be able to get any medication as I am in Canada. All I have is General cure, something for ick and Melafix.

I wish it were that simple. I tried a while ago for a different fish and could only find one place in the whole province to treat a fish and they wanted me to bring the fish to them (3 hour drive). Then they charge you something like 100$ for consultation + meds. With gas it would cost me close to 200$.

Are you sure you can't order them from overseas? If you have a primary MD, they may also be able to write a prescription for you to fill at a pharmacy.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
FYI I found this on Amazon.ca - whether they allow it to be shipped within Canada I don't know?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Check with aquanest below. There are few but some I believe they are allowed to get to you

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bump on the lower jaw like that is pretty common if/when a fish bumps against something (the lower jaw often hits first). I've had fish develop this from "surfing" - when they rub repeatedly against something. I would not, however, expect a Bangaii to do that repeatedly.

That it is eating and has no other symptoms, I would watch it for now. It is pretty unlikely to be something that will spread to other fish.

Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back