OP
OP
haleyf1024

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to get to a petsmart to get tetracycline for the fin rot. He seems okay for now so I am hopeful. The tank will be getting water changes per med instructions and he will be getting enriched mysis with garlic. Hopefully he will pull through till monday

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tetracycline has a broad spectrum, treating both gram positive & negative infections. The downsides are it's more effective on freshwater fish than saltwater, and can be harsh on saltwater fish (i.e. they stop eating.) But right now it's better than nothing. Increase gas exchange as all antibiotics are notorious for robbing the water of oxygen.

OP
OP
haleyf1024

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Erythromycin was the other one they had, but I had read that it isn't as good as the tetracycline. The tank has a HOB filter right now and the water level is low enough for it to oxygenate it pretty well. Tomorrow I will try to find an outlet extender to plug the powerhead in (even though it is a crappy one that only blows bubbles-_-)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Erythromycin was the other one they had, but I had read that it isn't as good as the tetracycline.

In your current situation, Tetracycline is the better option as it has a wider spectrum of treatment. Erythromycin only treats gram positive; most newly acquired fish that are afflicted with bacterial infections have a gram negative strain. However, once you are able I would switch over to a more potent antibiotic - such as the ones found in Furan-2 or Kanaplex. Do a WC/run carbon first to get the Tetracycline out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
haleyf1024

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have discontinued use if tetracycline, as it turned the tank dark red and the anthia seemed very stressed. I lost the powder blue, who had seemed healthy. The tank has not had any meds added for almost 72 hours, and had 2 25% WCs and a huge >50% change. It is still red but had carbon running for 24 hours. Even though it is red, I am starting the use of MetroPlex. How long should I expect to use this? I also got some Furan 2 for the fin rot, but I don't know if I should do all 3 treatments at once (metro, hyposalinity, and furan 2). I am treating the water, not through food. The tank only had 2 treatments of tetracycline before I discontinued it.

OP
OP
haleyf1024

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would metro treat ick? My other QT seems to have somehow gotten it again even though the salinity is 1.009-1.010. Everyone is eating well so I may treat that tank by feeding it.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haleyf1024 Sorry to hear about your PB tang. :( Metro DOES NOT treat ich. The only known treatments for ich are: Copper, Chloroquine phosphate, tank transfer method, or hyposalinity. However, IMO hyposalinity is the least reliable of the 4 and hypo resistant strains of ich have been proven to exist.

OP
OP
haleyf1024

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not willing to use copper or TT because of stress to the fish. The metro says it treats ick? And people online have used it to treat it? I am going to try it, and if it doesn't work look for the next step to take.

OP
OP
haleyf1024

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427396085.021175.jpg
here is an article mentioning it that lists it's references :) http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-10/sp/feature/index.htm

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all due respect to Steven Pro, here is an article about Cryptocaryon irritans written by an actual VMD: FA164/FA164: Cryptocaryon irritans Infections (Marine White Spot Disease) in Fish

Here are the author's credentials: http://tal.ifas.ufl.edu/PDFs/CV Yanong.pdf

You won't find "metronidazole" mentioned anywhere in his article because it has never been proven to work on marine ich. You have to understand there is no FDA that polices fish meds. These companies can make any claims they wish and never have to worry about being held accountable. Their chief objective is to get you to buy their product. I don't make a dime whether you use Cupramine or Metroplex. Dr. Yanong doesn't benefit one way or the other. Just something to think about. ;)

But at the end of the day, it is your fish to treat however you wish.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 73 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.6%

Back