Male lyretail broken dorsal spine

jbaur

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello not sure how this happened but my male lyretail anthias seems to have broken his dorsal spine. It's still attached but where it meets up with his dorsal fin it appears it has snapped and flopping around.

Is this something that will recover on it's own or will he likely lose that spine?

I'm not planning on pulling him out just for this reason... Unless it starts affecting his health.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jbaur Welcome to the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis Forum!

The #fishmedic team and other knowledgeable members of our community will do our best to help you resolve your questions. Please provide as much of the following as you are able:
  • Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
    • How long have you had the fish with the condition?
    • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
  • Current water quality measurements
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
If you can help us by providing as much of the above info as possible, it will make diagnosing and providing recommendations for treatment MUCH easier! The Fish Medic team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other members of our community may also share their experience with similar situations and advice that they may have regarding your situation.

You may also feel free to provide a more detailed description of the condition if you wish to share more info than the above list.

Additionally, these links may be useful while you await a response:

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general, fish tend to regenerate very quickly. If this was caused by physical trauma and the fish is otherwise healthy, I honestly wouldn't worry much. Just keep an eye out for signs of possible infection. I WOULD keep an eye out for signs of aggression in the tank that could have led to the broken spine.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happens fairly often. In the cases I've seen, the broken fin spine will fall off and depending on where the break is, the fin will likely regrow.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back