Lyretail anthia in Display tank suddenly having white stringy poop?!?

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I’ve had this anthia for almost 8 months now. Has gone through general cure/ focus food in the past. Only thing I’ve added to my display tank lately that hasn’t been quarantined was a few blood shrimp, hermits and snails. Is it possible for a fish that’s been treated in the past to suddenly get a parasite? I’m assuming general cure and focus with food for 14 days? Also has a white spot near it’s mouth. I’ll try to get a picture of it.

So frustrating! You try to be careful not to get disease in your display tank and then poof, a fish comes down with something!

CA082BB3-1ED7-45DC-8058-4BE08FC8CDD2.jpeg

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible for a fish to get sick after treatment.

It could be stress and more often than not it’s a parasite. Does it eat?

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed Dr Gs anti parasitic/dewormer frozen or Dr Gs liquid refrigerated roe foods it does have CP in it so only feed what is consumed, but because chloroquine phosphate is broken down rapidly through biological processes, it wont harm most invertebrates and coral as long as you dont over do it and again, only feed what will be consumed by fish immediately.

Im not a big fan of using G.C +focus with food in reef sysyems
Just my .02

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

she was eating before. I usually feed a mix of a bunch of cubes. Mysis, angel blend, some ROE, calanus, reef frenzy, and something with nori. Then I added a scoop of GC and focus. I’ll feed that for 10-14 days. Although through reading I’ve come across some other hobbyist who say anthias can also get white stringy poop from stress. I’ll feed the GC just to be sure. The anthia does go at it with my Midas blenny but nothing too crazy. Of course this all happens as I’m adding my brand new regal angel and yellow Coris wrasse from my QT. They’re in an acclimation box inside the display right now. Both are pretty small. Wrasse is 2.5” the regal is 2.25” Just bad timing SMH

OP
OP
T

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed Dr Gs anti parasitic/dewormer frozen or Dr Gs liquid refrigerated roe foods it does have CP in it so only feed what is consumed, but because chloroquine phosphate is broken down rapidly through biological processes, it wont harm most invertebrates and coral as long as you dont over do it and again, only feed what will be consumed by fish immediately.

Im not a big fan of using G.C +focus with food in reef sysyems
Just my .02
Appreciate the input. I don’t have a full blown reef YET. I’m currently quarantining all my fish prior to getting corals. Still haven’t decided on LED’s I want. I’m enjoying the fish only. Been battling cyano so I’m experimenting with nitrate and phosphate dosing to balance the levels. Again only my CUC gets adding directly to my system which I know can be risky but I don’t have a separate QT for inverts. My other fish are

kole Tang
Pair percula clowns
Pair bellus angels
Golden Midas blenny
And the lyretail
3 blood shrimp, scarlet hermits and a mix of snails. I have a fuge with chaeto and a reactor running carbon.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hopefully not the start of uronema. Try praziPro. Nay help the matter otherwise will need to add metroplex to its food
White stringy poop is internal parasite more than likely

OP
OP
T

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully not the start of uronema. Try praziPro. Nay help the matter otherwise will need to add metroplex to its food
White stringy poop is internal parasite more than likely
I didn’t notice any reddish sores on its body. I’ll look when I get home later. I know my kole tang always gets scuffs on his body. Probably from zipping around the tank and rock work. He always heals up pretty fast. I know the lyretail also loves to sleep in the rock work so the white spot could just be an injury.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is one school of thought that white stringy poo is ok if the fish is feeding. @Lasse has posted on this in several threads...
how I rationalise this to myself and I could be totally wrong... is; do most animals occasionally have upset stomachs? is it always parasites? Do we medicate them and ourselves? I know if a change my dogs food he will have the runs for days, do I medicate him? Of course not...
What effect do drugs like prazipro have on the intestines and micro fauna... the problem most of us face is accurately diagnosing an illness... but I sit firmly on the side of not medicating until a diagnosis has been made..

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO - do not medicate. Just observe - I´m rather sure that it will have normal pop in a day or two. If it stop eating (or spit out food that it have eat before) it could be a infection of hexamite-like flagellates and should be treated with metronidazole based products (or its derivatives)

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
T

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO - do not medicate. Just observe - I´m rather sure that it will have normal pop in a day or two. If it stop eating (or spit out food that it have eat before) it could be a infection of hexamite-like flagellates and should be treated with metronidazole based products (or its derivatives)

Sincerely Lasse
If it’s a parasite it will stay white and stringy? After the long white stringy poop yesterday, the second piece coming out looked brownish. Still stringy but brown. Not sure if that helps with anything. As for spitting out food, I feel like all of my fish do this. Whether it’s a shrimp shell or one of the items in the mix they don’t like. They swim around and find the good ones. The tang is the only one that devours everything!

Coral Reef Keepers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you have anything to worry about. As long as the fish is eating and acting normal, it is probably fine. Just last month my clown fish had a white stringy poo. She is almost 10 years old and eats well and is very active. From my research, other things that can cause this are stress and more than likely diet. A high protein diet can cause stringy poo. I just make sure to feed more nori, which everyone in my tank loves even the clown fish, and feed pellets as well. It's been over a month and no stringy poo. So I am going to guess your fish is just having a case of the runs lol.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is a parasite that cause the white stringy poop - IME the fish will stop eating. With spit out I meant all food. The white stringy poops is just repelled mucous

Sincerely Lasse

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I few people mentioned this but I dont automatically associate white stringy poop with parasites. If they are eating and still fat it could be other issues. I also remember reading that certain foods can cause this. I think it was mysis shrmip?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sincerely Lasse

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sincerely Lasse

Wow I wish I knew of this thread, should be stickied in the disease section. I battled what I thought was intestinal parasites with all different meds. Started feeding flakes instead of mysis and it went away.

OP
OP
T

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sincerely Lasse
Good stuff. Just fed the tank. Non medicated food. Still eating like a beast. Waiting for a poop now lol

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned white spot on mouth? I just lost a lyrtail in QT to what started as white stringy poo and then white fungus looking bacterial infection on the head. The bacterial infection continued to get worse and I pulled both lyrtails i had and put them in another QT. The lyrtail without string poo and no bacterial did have what looked like the start of a red sore on its head. I assumed Urnonema and started treating with Metro. The fish that showed the most signs has made a full recovery and I lost the other that, never really developed a full sore but wasted away over the course of a week and a half.

Just thought i would share this situation as a possible cause what you are seeing..i hope it is not in your case.

if it is Urnonema there is the thought that many people end up with it in their system and a healthy immune system can fight it off.

Did you change foods around the time you started noticing the string poo? I have seen that cause it too and they eventually go back to normal.

OP
OP
T

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned white spot on mouth? I just lost a lyrtail in QT to what started as white stringy poo and then white fungus looking bacterial infection on the head. The bacterial infection continued to get worse and I pulled both lyrtails i had and put them in another QT. The lyrtail without string poo and no bacterial did have what looked like the start of a red sore on its head. I assumed Urnonema and started treating with Metro. The fish that showed the most signs has made a full recovery and I lost the other that, never really developed a full sore but wasted away over the course of a week and a half.

Just thought i would share this situation as a possible cause what you are seeing..i hope it is not in your case.

if it is Urnonema there is the thought that many people end up with it in their system and a healthy immune system can fight it off.

Did you change foods around the time you started noticing the string poo? I have seen that cause it too and they eventually go back to normal.
She’s still eating like crazy. I don’t really change foods. I rotate. I have hikari s pellets in an auto feeder that feeds 3 times a day (small amount). Then I manually feed frozen cubes (PE MYSIS, bloodworms, calanus, nori blend, angle blend) once a day.
Doesn’t look like uronema, (not a reddish abrasion) If anything, possibly lympho. Not sure if anthias can get that. My Regal angel had a small spot of lympho in quarantine but has since gone away prior to adding to my display.

Protein Skimmers – Are They Really Necessary?

• YES

Votes: 69 52.3%
  • NO

Votes: 41 31.1%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 19 14.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back