Lyretail Anthias: Ain’t That The Truth

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True true. So long as you can pick out a nice big healthy male and all small females. I just find male anthias to be more finicky

My past groupings were never an issue, however just now I had that happen, male would only eat freshly thawed, no pellets or food that was thawed and stored in fridge overnight, which I thought was weird, never happened before, all other fish ate that food.
However I scored him solo, thinking I would have found healthy females quicker than I did, and for me that seemed to be a factor, as now I have 2 females(all I could find so far) and now he seems to be competing for food w/ those females, so all is well again.

Va_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a single lyretail in my 80, started out a female but now has the beginnings of an elongated dorsal spine. I don’t expect this fish to change fully though because my other fish are much more dominant.

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just received 4 of them today. One female was doa and the male died in just a couple of hours. I had prazi-pro in the tank. I would like to order replacements but after reading through this thread I am thinking of going with all females. What do you think? The other Two females are doing good but I changed out alittle more then half of the water to remove the prazi in case it caused the males death. I have a 210 to put them into after I qt. Not sure to introduce prazi or copper back into the water or see how they do for a month or so.
thanks
jeff

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received 4 of them today. One female was doa and the male died in just a couple of hours. I had prazi-pro in the tank. I would like to order replacements but after reading through this thread I am thinking of going with all females. What do you think? The other Two females are doing good but I changed out alittle more then half of the water to remove the prazi in case it caused the males death. I have a 210 to put them into after I qt. Not sure to introduce prazi or copper back into the water or see how they do for a month or so.
thanks
jeff

I'd suggest letting them settle in before any kind of treatment and yes all females. In my experience it doesnt take long for one to turn male.

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will a male that has changed in captivity have the same coloration as a wild caught male?
Thanks
Jeff
They have the 2 times I've had anthias change for me. Honestly, I think they'll turn out better given that some males may lose some of their vibrancy if not enough females or if some females are larger and try to compete with it. If purchasing a male with females I'd always suggest ensuring the females are much, much smaller than the male. Years ago when I had a small group of lyretails rhe male I bought got out competed by a female and died and she changed to male.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Had to try it. Added 5 females to my tank today.

Lets see how this works out?

Anthias.jpg

Peng1606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had issues with anthias and chromis coming with uronema over last 2 years and not surviving quarantine. Have lost about 20+ anthias despite treatment. Last batch I received has been the best because they came straight from Bali without going through wholesaler in US. Just lost one in quarantine with uronema like symptoms but was aggressive with formalin + acriflavine bath, then metronidazole 250mg/10 gallon daily.
Now have 8 in my tank for more than 3 months, all females but 2 changed to male. One of the females actually looks like a dispar rather than lyretail but they all get along and eat everything including pellets.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back