Lyretail Anthias first fish post-cycle?

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting a 225g system (6 foot, 180g display) with an extensive aquascape built with fish in mind (lots of overhangs, swim-throughs, and caves). I plan to heavily seed the system with cowpox’s, amphipods, and other micro crustaceans immediately after cycling.

For the first fish I add after cycling, is it ok to start with a small harem of Lyretail Anthias (1 male, 2 females)?

I understand they will need to be fed robustly until the tank matures and I plan to do so. Any other special considerations?

My planned fish list includes these three, a royal gramma, various wrasse, Falco hawk fish, three tangs, a Midas blenny, a pair of genicanthus angels…any concerns adding the anthias first given this list?

Mattiejay6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting a 225g system (6 foot, 180g display) with an extensive aquascape built with fish in mind (lots of overhangs, swim-throughs, and caves). I plan to heavily seed the system with cowpox’s, amphipods, and other micro crustaceans immediately after cycling.

For the first fish I add after cycling, is it ok to start with a small harem of Lyretail Anthias (1 male, 2 females)?

I understand they will need to be fed robustly until the tank matures and I plan to do so. Any other special considerations?

My planned fish list includes these three, a royal gramma, various wrasse, Falco hawk fish, three tangs, a Midas blenny, a pair of genicanthus angels…any concerns adding the anthias first given this list?

with it being a fresh system, I would be worried about the constant feeding not giving your tank time to Stabilize.. that would be my worry

bobssecrtsn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with it being a fresh system, I would be worried about the constant feeding not giving your tank time to Stabilize.. that would be my worry
I would think the opposite. Most people tend to under feed. Causing no3 po4 to drop to zero causing a Dino outbreak. Then again it really depends on the persons parameters. Are they testing daily for the first 10-15 days for no3-po4? The rocks my leech these nutrients out during this time as well for a few days. Or it might not.

for me I would say go for it. But test daily for the first 15-20 days to ensure your not bottoming out your nutrients. It’s easy to remove them. But harder to remove Dino’s once established.

Lutzerman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it difficult to get a healthy anthias. I don't think they handle the stress of shipping well. I'd probably go with something a little more hardy.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back