Lyretail Anthias

britnicole1724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My boyfriend has been wanting one of these for a while now. I’ve been doing some research and want to surprise him (we are in the hobby together) I know they are schooling fish and originally I was planning on just one but now I’m questioning if we could do 3 in our tank. 140 g display 40 g sump with skimmer. pretty stocked with the following
2 false perc clowns
1 valentini puffer (going to be moved in the next year or so after we finish building our diy tank)
1 foxface
1 firefish
1 royal gramma
1 ruby dragonet
1 mandarin dragonet
1 tomini tang
1 leopard wrasse
1 diamond goby
Misc inverts, 3 anemones, cleaner shrimp, conchs, urchins, etc. and corals.

Would keeping 3 Lyretail Anthias be too much? We did potentially want to add a blue tang and maybe a coral beauty. That would probably be the extent of stocking this unless we rehomed the gramma and replaced with a blenny of some sort. We’ve considered doing so only because it’s a bully. Thoughts?

Last edited:

paradizecityz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have more fish than yours and my tank is a little smaller. I originally had 7 Lyretail and have re-homed 2 of them and have 5. I think you'll be ok. I haven't had any issues and they add a lot of movement to the tank but just remember, you do have to feed them throughout the day. I currently run my auto feeder 4 times a day and then also do some frozen in the evening as well.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine adding the fish. The thing I would think about is the increase in bio-load. Like the previous person says, they need to be fed constantly. I would be sure your filtration can keep up with the increase in food. However, you have a puffer, and I've heard they can be messy, so you might be okay. I have 7 in my 180-gallon and I love the movement.

OP
OP
britnicole1724

britnicole1724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have more fish than yours and my tank is a little smaller. I originally had 7 Lyretail and have re-homed 2 of them and have 5. I think you'll be ok. I haven't had any issues and they add a lot of movement to the tank but just remember, you do have to feed them throughout the day. I currently run my auto feeder 4 times a day and then also do some frozen in the evening as well.
I could definitely feed 4 times a day. I work like 5 minutes away so I usually go home on my lunch break. Could feed in the morning, on lunch, when I get home and then before bed. I don’t have an auto feeder but could probably invest in one.

OP
OP
britnicole1724

britnicole1724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine adding the fish. The thing I would think about is the increase in bio-load. Like the previous person says, they need to be fed constantly. I would be sure your filtration can keep up with the increase in food. However, you have a puffer, and I've heard they can be messy, so you might be okay. I have 7 in my 180-gallon and I love the movement.
Our puffer isn’t too bad. I think our foxface craps more than anything I’ve ever seen and makes a mess with nori. We have a skimmer too so I don’t know that I’d be worry about the bioload, over 100lbs of live rock and a fairly decent sized sand bed plus bioballs in the refugium

paradizecityz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could definitely feed 4 times a day. I work like 5 minutes away so I usually go home on my lunch break. Could feed in the morning, on lunch, when I get home and then before bed. I don’t have an auto feeder but could probably invest in one.

Definitely. I mean I just have the cheap eheim and it does the trick. I don't know if you only feed frozen but it helps with variety too, I guess? I mix a bunch of different pellets together and all my fish eats them. Gets them trained to eat pellets so when I go on vacation, I don't need a fish sitter either :)

OP
OP
britnicole1724

britnicole1724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely. I mean I just have the cheap eheim and it does the trick. I don't know if you only feed frozen but it helps with variety too, I guess? I mix a bunch of different pellets together and all my fish eats them. Gets them trained to eat pellets so when I go on vacation, I don't need a fish sitter either :)
Right now I only feed frozen. Kind of a mix of everything, seaweed, mysis, brine, krill, urchin, conch, etc. I throw a bunch of cubes together and mix them once they melt along with selcon and garlic.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back