Lyretail illness

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this lyretail for close to a year and it has had zero issues at all. I haven’t changed anything with my tank to stress it out at all and my other 2 habitants (clown and Melanarus) are model citizens.
this spot appeared 2 days ago. Fish swims around normal and eats fine.
I don’t have a QT tank so what would be some ways to treat whatever this is? #fishmedic
35B8EEF9-55A0-4C02-A400-1836B9F056B0.jpeg
24B4257D-7975-4C63-A84E-E632762B858C.jpeg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have had this lyretail for close to a year and it has had zero issues at all. I haven’t changed anything with my tank to stress it out at all and my other 2 habitants (clown and Melanarus) are model citizens.
this spot appeared 2 days ago. Fish swims around normal and eats fine.
I don’t have a QT tank so what would be some ways to treat whatever this is?
35B8EEF9-55A0-4C02-A400-1836B9F056B0.jpeg
24B4257D-7975-4C63-A84E-E632762B858C.jpeg
This fish has skin damage what appears as scraping and may be a product of bullying or fear/being startled. As you have seen, they dash into rocks when frightened.
Any aggression in the tank youve seen by other tankmates ?
Is it eating
Breating fast or normal?
As this may be becomming bacterial, what is ammonia-nitrate-ph levels?

the patches appear to gram negative bacterial and should be treated in a quarantine setting with seachem Kanaplex.

OP
OP
Wrassenaround

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish has skin damage what appears as scraping and may be a product of bullying or fear/being startled. As you have seen, they dash into rocks when frightened.
Any aggression in the tank youve seen by other tankmates ?
Is it eating
Breating fast or normal?
As this may be becomming bacterial, what is ammonia-nitrate-ph levels?

the patches appear to gram negative bacterial and should be treated in a quarantine setting with seachem Kanaplex.
No aggression from tank mates at all, it is eating like it normally does and no abnormal breathing. It does spend more time in the rocks at night than usual but not during the day. Not sure on levels but I will measure this evening
I don’t have a QT tank so is there a way that this can be treated in tank?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The anthias is a bit thin (sunken belly and loss of thickness behind the head). Are you feeding it multiple times a day? I can't say what the lesion is though.....

Jay

OP
OP
Wrassenaround

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The anthias is a bit thin (sunken belly and loss of thickness behind the head). Are you feeding it multiple times a day? I can't say what the lesion is though.....

Jay
Yes I am feeding it multiple times a day. Morning and night, varies between pellets and frozen food. It actually has a good amount of weight on it but that picture is deceiving.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am feeding it multiple times a day. Morning and night, varies between pellets and frozen food. It actually has a good amount of weight on it but that picture is deceiving.
I hope you mean multiple times in the morning and multiple times at night not just once each time. I feed my Anthias 12x a day

OP
OP
Wrassenaround

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you mean multiple times in the morning and multiple times at night not just once each time. I feed my Anthias 12x a day
I only feed twice a day and it has been fine for the 6 plus months I've had it. Yes I know that is low for Anthias but it has been working for me and it has put on weight since I got it. Once I get more Anthias I will feed multiple times a day with an auto feeder.
I don't see how feeding would have an impact on the lesions on the side. Since I've gotten home the lesion has actually deceased since this morning and yesterday when the picture was taken. I will post an update tomorrow morning so you guys can see how it is doing.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only feed twice a day and it has been fine for the 6 plus months I've had it. Yes I know that is low for Anthias but it has been working for me and it has put on weight since I got it. Once I get more Anthias I will feed multiple times a day with an auto feeder.
I don't see how feeding would have an impact on the lesions on the side. Since I've gotten home the lesion has actually deceased since this morning and yesterday when the picture was taken. I will post an update tomorrow morning so you guys can see how it is doing.
Lack of food will cause stress or weakened immune system and they fish is more prone to these things when not as healthy as should or would be if it ate properly. It is well known that Anthias and chromis and few others need to eat many many times a day to be healthy. It’s not fair for that one Anthias to starve while you wait to buy more which you will probably starve also. Like I said I feed 12x a day

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure your water is clean and you’re up on your maintenance and feed more and I’m sure he will be fine

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some fish need to eat a lot more than twice a day. This is why auto feeders are so prevelant in the hobby.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad he is improving. I echo the need for multiple feedings for anthias. I recommend you look into the Avast Plank. It's a great piece of equipment and keeps my 6 anthias well feed with tdo while I'm at work. Then I feed mysis and eggs in the evening.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 106 43.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 116 47.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 22 9.0%
Back