OP
Jason mack

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so now ive ordered some triton si to dose and ive also started taking my sand bed out ...
With all the encouragement and advice I'm getting from my friends and #reefsquad I don't feel as much as a failure and it has spurred me on too beat this and not give up ...
I wanna thank everyone from the bottom of my heart for all your support ..!!

OP
OP
Jason mack

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see one and possibly two also. I think the one that jumps out the most is the amphidinium. Unfortunately, it doesn't get much more frustrating than them.

With most dino's we found that creating a competitor for nutrients help reduce the population. Also with amphidinium, others found success removing the sandbed. The easiest competitor is diatoms through silicate dosings.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/amphidinium-dinoflagellate-treatment-methods.365850/
Not sure if this is relevant , but thought I'd post it just in case...this was my Triton result for si from 7th jan 2019...
Screenshot_20190211-194635_Chrome.jpg

Any advice on how much si too dose ..???

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Jason mack

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm almost sure my yellow doctor has ich now:(:mad::(:(:( ...seen a few white spots on him now .. .good news is I've seen him eating today !!!!...got the seachem stability today and started dosing ....

Last edited:

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm almost sure my yellow doctor has ich now:(:mad::(:(:( ...seen a few white spots on him now .. .good news is I've seen him eating today !!!!...got the seachem stability today and started dosing ....
What’s the reason and thoughts on using the Seachem Stability Jason ?

OP
OP
Jason mack

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the reason and thoughts on using the Seachem Stability Jason ?
First on advice from @reeferfoxx ..second, I think there is definitely an unbalance in my tank ...
I've already removed half my sand bed...I'm going too wait with the other half while I dose silicate ..I found this on ebay ...I'm waiting for it now ..
Screenshot_20190212-153608_eBay.jpg

OP
OP
Jason mack

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost another 3 sps too RTN ...one head of 1 of my torches has brown jelly ...:mad::mad::(:(:(...I cant take much more of this ...I feel so helpless now ...another couple of weeks and I'll have nothing left ....:(:(

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost another 3 sps too RTN ...one head of 1 of my torches has brown jelly ...:mad::mad::(:(:(...I cant take much more of this ...I feel so helpless now ...another couple of weeks and I'll have nothing left ....:(:(
Hi Jason I'm sorry to hear this

If your in the position that things are starting to die off, in a serious way, is it worth looking into a major water change or setting up a separate temporary tank to remove all the healthy corals/fish until the main display is sorted out.

You can cycle the new tank immediately with something like ATM Colony (ive used this) or something similar and get everything out if the water is becoming potentially toxic. It might give you a bit of breathing space while you decide what to do.

I really hope you get this sorted

Best wishes.

OP
OP
Jason mack

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jason I'm sorry to hear this

If your in the position that things are starting to die off, in a serious way, is it worth looking into a major water change or setting up a separate temporary tank to remove all the healthy corals/fish until the main display is sorted out.

You can cycle the new tank immediately with something like ATM Colony (ive used this) or something similar and get everything out if the water is becoming potentially toxic. It might give you a bit of breathing space while you decide what to do.

I really hope you get this sorted

Best wishes.
Yes I want too do a water change ..I had done a big one last week 1/3 = 100lters ..I'm now waiting for new salt from my lfs that I ordered one and half weeks ago ...I dont have the money too keep throwing at this ..even my girlfriend is making comments about it now .....I know this is an expensive hobby ....but this is getting ridiculous ....and I dont even wanna look at the tank anymore .....

OP
OP
Jason mack

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some good news today ...my yellow doctor is eating again and more like him self , and I've also seen my coral goby eating as well ..so I'm a bit happier ...tank is looking a little beter now I've taken 85% of the sand out ...still got Triton turned off ...waiting for my calcium hydroxide...and Liquid silicate solution to arrive either this week or next ....unfortunately due too the Chinese new year holidays my new uv has still not shipped yet ,so I am still using my old 7w even if it's not strong enough ,I have a small pump on it in the dt trickling water through it ...I wanna beat this and get back too enjoying my tank ...

OP
OP
Jason mack

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did another 50 litre WC tonight ..syphoned 95% of my sand bed out now ..dinos are a little less but still covering all my rocks and corals ...gonna do another 50 litre WC tomorrow and try and get the last of the sand out ....nitrates have fallen to about 50ppm now hoping that tomorrows test they are even less ....anybody any idea how long I should leave my sand out for ...???

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did another 50 litre WC tonight ..syphoned 95% of my sand bed out now ..dinos are a little less but still covering all my rocks and corals ...gonna do another 50 litre WC tomorrow and try and get the last of the sand out ....nitrates have fallen to about 50ppm now hoping that tomorrows test they are even less ....anybody any idea how long I should leave my sand out for ...???
Removing the sand removes their refuge. Pushing them to the rocks is what allows beneficial organisms to graze. Don't confuse organisms with microscopic organisms. Just organisms as a generalization. Pods, isopods, snails and other diverse and otherwise beneficial organisms have the opportunity to graze if conditions are fair for them. My suggestions in earlier posts of diversifying the tank still stands, as it seems your tank is lacking in that department. Shifting nutrient consumption to diatoms will help added diversity to consume and procreate. So, if you haven't considered probiotics, live phyto, pods, and rotifers, your battle will continue. Though, of course, lets get your water parameters in check.

When I battled coolia, I also added live rock pieces, heavy phyto, pods, bristleworms, and ocean mud. All of this helped tremendously.

As far as how long you should keep the sand out, depends on the tanks progression. Also, depends on how long its progression can be sustained. I think in the long run yoully be surprised at how much you tended to the tank compared to how much your really need to tend to it. Which isn't much at all, imo. The less we mess with our systems, the better off. Unless, nutrients get out of control. Typically means we over fed thus back to limited interaction helps more in most cases.

OP
OP
Jason mack

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well did another 50litreWC and removed the rest of my sandbed ..also removed my purple stylo as it totally RTN 'd on me ...bought and started dosing phytoplankton today and just added 5 bags of copepods after lights out..

OP
OP
Jason mack

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well today I can definitely see a big improvement in the tank ..the dinos are noticeably less...I feel renewed hope for the first time in months ...what an uplifting feeling this is .. :D
I've also changed my lights again as I'm now convinced that that was the cause of my dinos ..so I have moved away from the blues and more into the whites ....
Going too continue dosing phytoplankton and silicates...
Unfortunately the tank is looking a little bare and desiccated...
Got a message from Ali Express and I hope my new jebo 36w UV will be here sometime next week ...
For the first time in months I'm starting too feel good about my tank ...and that I'm gonna beat this .....

OP
OP
Jason mack

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit too last post ...
I said my lights were the cause of my dinos ...actually better too say I am the cause with using the new lights ...
I really should have been more subtle and careful when changing my lights from CBB's too kessils...

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit too last post ...
I said my lights were the cause of my dinos ...actually better too say I am the cause with using the new lights ...
I really should have been more subtle and careful when changing my lights from CBB's too kessils...
Hey Jason, you probably know this, but running granular activated carbon will help reduce the dino toxins. About 1 cup per 100 gallons changed weekly for now...

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 46 29.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.1%
Back