Mack’s Reef dino support group

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, identification is whats going to help the most.

The cell wall around this dino is too distorted.
20190130_1647582.jpg

@Jason mack I'm sure you have seen it under the scope, yourself? Can you compare it to one of these?

Amphidinium

These two look different but same genus.
amphidinium1.jpg
amphidinium.jpg

Coolia spp.

coolia.jpg
coolia2.jpg

Ostreopsis

Ostreopsis1.jpg

Prorocentrum

These two look different but same genus.
prorocentrum2.jpeg

prorocentrum1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jason mack

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have too take another sample too Lfs on Monday and see if I can get a beter photo .....I appreciate everybody's input in helping me ....but I really I'm starting too feel I'm losing this battle ....I used too be so proud of my tank, but for the last 5-6 months I've watched my tank deteriorate as its gone from one problem too the next .. everything I try seems to have an adverse effect on the tank and myself ...

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have too take another sample too Lfs on Monday and see if I can get a beter photo .....I appreciate everybody's input in helping me ....but I really I'm starting too feel I'm losing this battle ....I used too be so proud of my tank, but for the last 5-6 months I've watched my tank deteriorate as its gone from one problem too the next .. everything I try seems to have an adverse effect on the tank and myself ...
I know the feeling. Definitely see if you can get a better picture. Or if anything, ask them to reference my post for ID. I trust anyone can ID properly but if they dont feel confident or dino looks different from my reference images, go for a picture to post here. Just tag me.

For now, I think UV, probiotics, nutrient increase, consistent feedings, diversity additions, weekly use of GAC should be the focus. You can also try over feeding live plankton and a heavy addition of pods. Best to make sure the plankton and pods are added after nutrients and water quality have been improved.

Dosing chemicals and doing black outs are temp fixes. You'll always risk adding dinos with future coral additions. I recommend learning to live with dinos rather eradicating.

OP
OP
Jason mack

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the feeling. Definitely see if you can get a better picture. Or if anything, ask them to reference my post for ID. I trust anyone can ID properly but if they dont feel confident or dino looks different from my reference images, go for a picture to post here. Just tag me.

For now, I think UV, probiotics, nutrient increase, consistent feedings, diversity additions, weekly use of GAC should be the focus. You can also try over feeding live plankton and a heavy addition of pods. Best to make sure the plankton and pods are added after nutrients and water quality have been improved.

Dosing chemicals and doing black outs are temp fixes. You'll always risk adding dinos with future coral additions. I recommend learning to live with dinos rather eradicating.
Nutrient increase ...??? No3 75ppm po4 0.14 as of today ..put rowaphos back on two days ago as po4 was 0.22

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutrient increase ...??? No3 75ppm po4 0.14 as of today ..put rowaphos back on two days ago as po4 was 0.22
I see. We are on the other side of the spectrum lol.

I would focus on reducing nitrates over phosphates. MB7 or Seachem Stability. The iron in rowaphos could also contribute to dino growth.

OP
OP
Jason mack

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. We are on the other side of the spectrum lol.

I would focus on reducing nitrates over phosphates. MB7 or Seachem Stability. The iron in rowaphos could also contribute to dino growth.
Ok thanks for your advice @reeferfoxx ...just ordered some seachem stability ..

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for your advice @reeferfoxx ...just ordered some seachem stability ..
Awesome! In the mean time, maybe work on using water changes to help reduce the po4. The other options I mentioned are still sound. All in all, don't reduce nitrates below 10 and po4 below 0.05.

OP
OP
Jason mack

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! In the mean time, maybe work on using water changes to help reduce the po4. The other options I mentioned are still sound. All in all, don't reduce nitrates below 10 and po4 below 0.05.
I will try :oops: but my nitrates haven't been as low as 10 in more than a year ...that's always been the problem ...my tank has always been a high nutrient tank ..even water changes don't really help .dinos always seem too come back twice as hard ...carbon dosing didn't work , tank just looked s#+¥ and corals weren't happy at all . I always have good skimmate in my skimmer ...

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try :oops: but my nitrates haven't been as low as 10 in more than a year ...that's always been the problem ...my tank has always been a high nutrient tank ..even water changes don't really help .dinos always seem too come back twice as hard ...carbon dosing didn't work , tank just looked s#+¥ and corals weren't happy at all . I always have good skimmate in my skimmer ...

I had my water tested today just to reply to this, Nitrates 60, phos .25, there has to be a balance you are missing somewhere, don't give up, we need to get our heads around this!?

DSC_0002 (1024x615).jpg

OP
OP
Jason mack

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my water tested today just to reply to this, Nitrates 60, phos .25, there has to be a balance you are missing somewhere, don't give up, we need to get our heads around this!?

DSC_0002 (1024x615).jpg
Beautiful tank @najer and thanks for the reply...I wish I knew where I was going wrong ...my yellow doctor isn't doing good ..he's not eaten for two days now ...it's not ich ..there's no spots ...he does look a little bloated. .and also my little coral goby was acting strange today ....even after I did a 1/3 wc things still seem too be getting worse ...I really think I might have created a super dino strain now ....tomorrow I go with a sample too my Lfs and see if I can get a beter photo of them ....seachem stability will be here on Tuesday...I've turned my triton off ...reduced my lights and intensity ...and dosing dinoX again ...skimmer is runing wet ...waiting for my new uv light ....I really don't know what else too do ...

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our tanks are nearly identical. I had dinos growing on my sand bed exactly the same pattern as yours. I’ve had dinos before that were more snotty and stringy. However, this brown stuff doesn’t become too stringy. Also my nitrates are high along with phosphates at .2. I most recently ripped out my sand bed and noticed this stuff growing on the bare bottom. I then put new sand in a few days ago. Now I am getting this crap growing again.

At the moment, I think it’s brown algae from high nutrients. I’m the same way as you though, no matter what I do, my nutrients stay high. I’ll keep you updated if I come up with any breakthroughs.

Here is a picture but don’t let it fool you, that’s new sand and the brown is starting to creep back in.

df41cd20facf1eb28ac09442042e618c.jpg

OP
OP
Jason mack

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our tanks are nearly identical. I had dinos growing on my sand bed exactly the same pattern as yours. I’ve had dinos before that were more snotty and stringy. However, this brown stuff doesn’t become too stringy. Also my nitrates are high along with phosphates at .2. I most recently ripped out my sand bed and noticed this stuff growing on the bare bottom. I then put new sand in a few days ago. Now I am getting this crap growing again.

At the moment, I think it’s brown algae from high nutrients. I’m the same way as you though, no matter what I do, my nutrients stay high. I’ll keep you updated if I come up with any breakthroughs.

Here is a picture but don’t let it fool you, that’s new sand and the brown is starting to creep back in.

df41cd20facf1eb28ac09442042e618c.jpg
Mine used to be just on the sand bed ..now it's everywhere on my rocks my corals my pumps everything ....I'm still trying a few things ,so keep watching !

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think im seeing 2 types maybe
I see one and possibly two also. I think the one that jumps out the most is the amphidinium. Unfortunately, it doesn't get much more frustrating than them.

With most dino's we found that creating a competitor for nutrients help reduce the population. Also with amphidinium, others found success removing the sandbed. The easiest competitor is diatoms through silicate dosings.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/amphidinium-dinoflagellate-treatment-methods.365850/

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%

Back