Macro Algae Decorator Crab Fuge

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's not macro, but the gorg is in. Getting dirty.

Skimmer is out for repair. Pinwheel failure.

20190430_224134.jpg

Very nice. :)

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, is that a long tentacle one?
I believe so. An "old school" species if u catch my drift. Came out of a 5 year old softies tank.

The mother colony is 2 feet tall, and the stalks are at least 3/8" wide. Not like my orange gorg at all. The polyps are the size of zoas. LoL.

I liked it.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a piece a few years ago, I lost in in one of the small tanks leaking incidents.

I can prolly get u a piece if u would like, ur paying shipping from Boston though :)

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice! when will you be adding the frogfish?

I am working with a guy in Cali who is in the "start-up" phase of dealing with the exotic side of salt aquaria. All spectrums.

The frog fish will be last. After I fill it with some show macro, and I want to add the decorator crab first and let it get comfortable and as large as possible. The frogfish will be tiny so that the 2 grow up in harmony and I'm hoping the frog doesnt see the crab as dinner. :)

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a rock of gsp from a friend at the KoR expo yesterday, and here it is this morning before fuge lights went out. I think my lighting will be sufficient for macro if it can do this for coral...

20190505_095208.jpg

He said it likely has bristle worms. And that's just fine with me.

WMR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build, be careful with the algae buildup, make sure it doesn’t overcome the gorgs. Also, be careful with the decorator crab, if it’s too big, it might eat your frog fish, I’ve seen them eat whatever they can catch. The frog fish will eat anything it can fit in it’s mouth, including animals as big as itself, seen that too

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build, be careful with the algae buildup, make sure it doesn’t overcome the gorgs. Also, be careful with the decorator crab, if it’s too big, it might eat your frog fish, I’ve seen them eat whatever they can catch. The frog fish will eat anything it can fit in it’s mouth, including animals as big as itself, seen that too

Thanks.

Yea, the hope is that they will both come in as juveniles and I can raise them together so they dont see each other as food source. The fuge will have a healthy stock of ghost shrimp before so the frog fish gets used to having plenty of food in the fuge at all times.

WMR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

Yea, the hope is that they will both come in as juveniles and I can raise them together so they dont see each other as food source. The fuge will have a healthy stock of ghost shrimp before so the frog fish gets used to having plenty of food in the fuge at all times.
Thanks.

Sorry, double clicked, when you say nano, what type of angler are you planning to get, a Pygmy?

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, double clicked, when you say nano, what type of angler are you planning to get, a Pygmy?

Most likely.. something that stays under 6"

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to see what algae you get, my fish ate all the pretty macros I tried! ;)

DSC_0005 (1024x723).jpg

Simon I feel that subliminally you are in love with the raw concept of a balanced ecosystem that thrives. It takes its hits but always keeps on truckin'. So in reality, all your vegetation and corals are really just DIY renewable food. You have a different psychological approach to reefing. And I love it. We all do.

I was going to order from AlgaeBarn but heard a few recent horror stories about them. So I'm gonna hold off for a bit and shop around. Many suppliers here in the states are out of stock, but the algae season is upon us in the Caribbean now, so it should start flowing in soon. :)

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I read a description about food chains earlier, how it should work!
I always felt that "clinical" wasn't the way it should be done but you do have to deal with nutrients somehow!
A lot of thought and few sit down with a coffee discussions were had designing the tank, I designed the tank and my lfs manager designed the sump.
I would never recommend running a tank my way but I think there could be one or 2 things that make people think that maybe there is a simpler way to do this or that!

I got called a "guru" to my face the other day, I have had that on the interweb as well, it makes me very uncomfortable, I'm just a bloke trying to do things a bit more simply! ;)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back