Macro algae in display with tangs?

  • Thread starter Thread starter smhow
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

smhow

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 20, 2025
Messages
11
Reaction score
2
Location
AZ
What state or country do you live in
Arizona
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some dragons breath in my refugium and would like to put some in the display, I think it looks really cool. I have doubts though because I threw in a strip just to see what would happen and it was gone the next day. I have a Purple and White Tail tang, can I keep it in the display or will they just chow down faster than it will grow? Also if it is possible, what other species of macro can I put in that won’t completely take over my tank and has some color? I have Chaeto and Caulerpa too but it seems like if I put those in I’ll never get them out and they aren’t all that interesting to me.
 
A purple tang is likely to at least nibble on your macroalgae. White Tail less likely to really much given its mouth, but mine will still nibble macroalgae
 
Upvote 0
A purple tang is likely to at least nibble on your macroalgae. White Tail less likely to really much given its mouth, but mine will still nibble macroalgae
It was a really small piece I threw in so it might have just been enough for them to nibble it out of existence lol
 
Upvote 0
Consider Gracilaria Hayi in your display. It is somewhat brittle with calcium uptake and less desirable for eating.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 35.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new