Macro algae maintenance

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about two months into a refugium add on. I'm wondering about pruning and care for the macros. I'm seeing some of the green grape caulerpa algae turning clear. Should I be cutting and removing the clear parts? Some of the red algae is turning clear and green.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got moderate flow any more and the sand blows around. I try to mix everything up twice a day. I haven't done any trimming and don't really know what and how much to pull out?

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s all you need. I flip mine ever few days, and trim it so it has room to grow. But not so much it causes a nutrient spike in the tank.

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For Chaeto, I just rip out a bunch and trash it (or, if I wasn't recovering from flatworms, sell/trade it).

For Caulerpa, I would definitely keep it trimmed - I used to use that, but it would periodically all disintegrate/"go sexual", release spores all over the tank, and then grow everywhere. It ended up overgrowing my corals and wiped the tank. Since then, I won't let Caulerpa near my tank. Having said that, if you keep it trimmed, that may work in prventing it from turning into spores.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing trace elements? Mine only goes clear/white when it’s low on traces.

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
Are you dosing trace elements? Mine only goes clear/white when it’s low on traces.
I'm using aquaForest components 1 2 3 and chaetoGro. I check and add phosphate and nitrogen daily. I definitely see the clear break up and float to the DT but the tangs like to eat it. I've got some green algae covering my coralline on the bottom of DT it's staying short so I'm not sure if it's green hair algae?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 144 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.6%
Back