Macro Algae Question

WindeyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up some cheato from the LFS; any precautions to take to avoid introducing any unwanted hitchikers to my system? We take lots of precations to quarentine/dip livestock to avoid any pests and I'm wondering if there are any such precautions with macro algaes.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any problem is very small compared to adding fish for instance.

One thing to consider is to protect it from fish that eat it. But then I presume you have some kind of refugium for that anyway.

my .02

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what type of corals you have. I would not add chaeto from an LFS to my tank without QTing it first. Too much risk of AEFW or red bugs. Same with montis or zoas. You don't want to risk nudibranches.

reefaddictionrx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Ritter. Even from other reefers tanks that are called "safe" I have always quarantined my macro algaes just in case.

Piranhapat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was about to ask same question. I just got a size of hard ball. I placed it in my 2 gallon and place a bright light with tank water. Behold I found 3 Aiptasia and one manjano. Than I looked and broke up the ball and found that looked like red worms. I decided to dip it like I dip my coral. I didn't see any good pest die off. Now with fear about eggs. I decided to dip it in fresh water. As of now I replace new tank water in 2 gal with cheato. Placed Kessil 150 on it. I 'll going to keep my eye on it and see if Cheato is still alive. Looks nice and green will see tomorrow. I rather lose cheato. Thank god I checked.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.2%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.1%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 74 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back