Macro Algae Recommendation for Stock Biocube Lighting

  • Thread starter Thread starter jabberwock
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
May 14, 2018
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
5,691
Location
in front of my computer
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
32 gallon biocube has been up for 9 months. Things are going well except for the murderous clown fish pair (they have been removed).

I have GHA. Been monitoring nutrients, manually removing GHA, it is getting better. Reducing lighting, reducing feeding, adding CUC (all the typical responses to GHA). It does not really bug me too much. I recognize it as part of the system. I am intrigued by macro algae as a "replacement/competitor".

Is this a reasonable idea?

What limitations do I have with the stock Biocube LEDs?

Can I do macro algae with the stock lighting?
 
Do you have a sump? There arw different macro algaes, some are more cosmetic and other can be hidden and protected from getting eaten in a sump like chaeto.

Edit: As for your lights, some people have success with some macros and not high end lighting. There are other factors to growth like flow and trace elements.
 
Last edited:
No sump. I am thinking of macros suitable for the "display tank". I tend to do micro daily water changes which I think helps to keep up elements. I purchase premixed Red Sea water from the LFS. 14 gallons lasts me a month or more.
 
You might consider running an airstone opposite of your lighting schedule with macro.
 
make sure you have nutrients!! Macro Algae needs nitrates and phosphates to grow, just like we need water and food to grow.
 
How would you get those nutrients without fish? ghost feed?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new