Macro display fuge

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys

I have a 180 in wall with a 180 basement sump system. I included a large 40g chaeto fuge into the design, but I've never had nitrate or phosphates high enough to support chaeto growth in the 18 months it's been running. So about a year ago I close down it off and it's been dry since.

I'm bored looking at it.

So I want to convert it into a macro display that I can stare at when I hide in the fishroom from my wife and kids .

I like the idea of creating a rock wall scape, about 1/3rd away from the back glass. 7" DSB back section, 'cliff face' 2" deep front section.

Shoal and manatee grass in back, macros and rubble fields up front.

Take a look at my amazing rendering!

The back 7" deep section would be a sand and mud mix and have planted grasses.

Front section would be left over seaflor special grade I have already.

I'm worried about the DSB though. Anyone have any guidence on whether this isn't worth going for, risks with the plan

I plan to dose nitrate, phosphate (have to do so currently anyway) iron, and other trace elements. Bury some flourish tabs in the back section for a boost.

Wall will be composed of reefsaver rock rubble glued to an eggcrate support with pond foam.

Thoughts?

IMG_2105.JPG
IMG_2106.JPG
IMG_2107.JPG
IMG_2110.JPG
IMG_2111.JPG

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following, your idea looks awesome. Are you doing sea grass in the top layer?

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t.
I was about to, then we went house hunting and started that process, and now I literally just started moving into our new place.
Tank move in 2 weeks. I can’t decide between going through with the macro fuge, or using the section as my rodi top off container. Seems like a waste of space though since I could keep going with the 20l I have now under the sump

more details on my regular build thread

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 63 47.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back