Macro Lens Question

adetamor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a good deal on an 18-50mm f/2.8 macro for my D200. 1:3 magnification and 20cm focusing. I see the typical focal length is 100mm. Am I going to struggle getting good close ups with this? Anyone using/used anything lower than a 65mm with some words of wisdom for me?

Thanks

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the 100mm unless its rediculiously cheap, but if you have deep pockets get the Canon MP-E 65mm Macro Lens that is plane and simple " the stuff " if you shoot macro.

Last edited by a moderator:

xinumaster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the 100mm unless its rediculiously cheap, but if you have deep pockets get the Canon MP-E 65mm Macro Lens that is plane and simple " the stuff " if you shoot macro.

That won't work on D200.

Last edited by a moderator:

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh sorry i was thinking you had canon. Isnt there a piece that can change canon to persay nikon thread?

xinumaster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seen adaptor that you can mount nikon lenses for canon body, but I haven't seen one that works the other way.

OP
OP
A

adetamor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's pretty cheap ($250). It would make a nice non tank macro as well. There is a nice Nikkor 105mm, but its $800 new (a little more than I have to spend). As far as adapters, I'm not sure as well.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if nikon is like canon a nice extonson tube will help. Are you looking to shoot macro outside of coral?

OP
OP
A

adetamor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah...more than likely. Someone selling a tube for $60 around me too! :)

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Send me a link, some tubes suck so bad, also some tubes dont allow you to use AF.

OP
OP
A

adetamor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YHPM. I tend to use MF. Do you recommend using AF for macros?

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going to own one macro lens, you're best off with something in the 100-mm range. The Nikon is quite expensive at $800 and is not practical for most. The Sigma EX105 is a terrific lens for a good price. Note that the "snoot" extends as you focus, but I never found that to be that big of an issue. The Tamron 90 can be had at a good price. Check out the lens reviews at fredmiranda.com: Specialized in Canon - Nikon SLR Cameras, Forum, Photoshop Plugins, Actions, Reviews, Hosting and Digital Darkroom. Keep in mind that most of the posts about lenses are people nit picking lenses, so read/consider them in relative terms.

I'm not a big fan of adapters that convert a Canon lens to a Nikon lens, for example. Too many variables that can affect performance.

Extension tubes are an excellent tool for closeups. The Kenko tubes are the best value at about $170. They are well built and perform flawlessly. IMO, autofocus is a non-issue with macro work. It is so rare that autofocus works in any situation and it almost never works for reef photography. I wouldn't consider it a concern.

Gary

OP
OP
A

adetamor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might look at that sigma. Gonna have to put off buying during a pay cycle, but worth the wait!! Thanks for the info guys.

xinumaster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got both VR and non-VR 105mm f2.8. I don't think I need to keep both. If you're interested I can sell to you my non-VR for $450 ~ about half the price I paid for the VR.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 25 28.4%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 29 33.0%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back