Maculiceps tang...gettting beat up? Or ?

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would throw up some pictures of my maculiceps. He and another tang are new to the "tank of hard knocks" (7 other tangs in there). But I dont really see him getting bullied to much.

He is eating well, but they are currently in 2.0ppm copper so I think that would slow down healing a bit.

Can someone take a look at the pics and see what they think. Should I pull him out and treat with antibiotics? Or just let him heal. Or is something else going on? Like not fighting or running into rock Injury.

20200116_201849.jpg 20200116_201852.jpg 20200116_201543.jpg 20200116_201610.jpg 20200116_181425.jpg

Sailfin11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see you have a Sohal and Achilles tang in with him. They are both VERY aggressive and will pick on other fish, especially tangs with similar body shapes. To me, he looks a bit skinny and kind of beat up. I think moving him to another system without other tangs to fatten him up and let him heal would be the safest option at this point. Best of luck! You have a great collection of tangs

Last edited:

Sailfin11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be my best guess. One of my tangs and angelfish like to pick on each other and every once in a while I see small nicks on the side of the angel that comes from the tangs sharp spine at the base of its tail. That's actually why they're called surgeonfish.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He definitely looks in bad shape. Keep an eye on the wounds to ensure no bacterial infections form. If the aggression continues you may need to remove him or call he aggressor.

OP
OP
pdxmonkeyboy

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@pathot984

I'm setting up a 20g QT this weekend to pull him out and getting him healed up a bit. Any suggestions on what I should treat him with? I was thinking about something along the lines of a broadspectrum like rally or melafix unless you think I should give them something more specific like kannaplex or?

Thank you!

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@pathot984

I'm setting up a 20g QT this weekend to pull him out and getting him healed up a bit. Any suggestions on what I should treat him with? I was thinking about something along the lines of a broadspectrum like rally or melafix unless you think I should give them something more specific like kannaplex or?

Thank you!
Since you're going through the steps of QT I would hit the trifecta of kanaplex + metroplex + API furan2. Hits all spectrums.

OP
OP
pdxmonkeyboy

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came home to a new HOB filter for my QT, some medications, and then when downstairs to see that he had died.

So now I'm both depressed and ticked that a $300 fish lasted 2 weeks. Sigh.

He was wearing like a pig last night. I did see him swimming into the power head last night though.

I know that can be a sign of velvet but as I stated before, all the fish are in 2.0 copper. And there is plenty of air churning in the sump and the water surface.

I dont know. I really really hate losing fish when i am not certain if i should take action or not.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really hate to hear that. We've all been there

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back